A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: VERY random slow playback on user machines

VERY random slow playback on user machines

okay... I searched the forums here for this, and found nothing specific to this problem. Now, I understand that I have no control over how a persons computer is configured, what bg tasks are running, how many apps they have open, or if they have a corrupt flash player, but I have had numerous wildly varying complaints that my site plays incredibly slow on machines that should have absolutley no problem with playback. (P3/p4 with nvidia or radeon vids) But then others (including myself) have abolutely no problems with it, even when I test it on an old PII or my old iMac.

http://www.torqdesign.net/portfolio (interactive side)

There is a quick AS while... that loops and duplicates the menus across the top, populating and colorizing them, but it executes properly and is terminated properly. Other than that, the files are very small (60k or less) and the animation isnt that intense. FPS is set to 30fps. What's the dealio? Has anyone heard/received similar feedback on their sites? I read an article on MM about very high framerates (60-100) causing issues with some machines, but I have always worked at 30fps with my stuff for the smoothest transitions and never had a problem - knock on wood. Been doing flash since version 3 and have never gotten feedback that it played doggedly slow...........

Any help or feedback is greatly appreciated...... I want to be able to either fix the problem, or give the people with the nasty feedback a reason why it's not the site and perhaps their player.

Thanks guys :-D

I made a little bet with myself before clicking your link. I bet myself 1 dollar that you were playing the movie full screen. I won.

Put the movie up at a reasonable size and it'll play like it's supposed to. You certainly didn't make it at 1280x1024 in flash. But that's what it's playing at when I view it. I have a 1G P3 and 512RAM, and use the onboard graphics on an Intel 815 board,[not the newest of fastest anymore] and it played jerky. Full screen movies always behave this way on my system, full screen takes a lot of resources. The same movie presented at the size it was made work fine.

I have the same problem with the site im making... it seems very laggy. I hope this thread stays alive cause i want to fix it. If you figure out whats wrong plz e-mail me: aarontschwartz@earthlink.net... u can see my site here: http://www.testsite.filtap.com... tell me if its laggy to you?

stupid website links... take the "..." out of the link above. Sorry bout that.

Thanks for the feeback.... I realized the stupidity of my not making the site to a fit size, so I corrected it, having a JS resize the window to 8x6 if the screen.AvailWidth>800 and bagging the frameset *,100*,* that was there. (done as a way to properly scale the flash file, etc.) I then gave it a few days to see what happened, and posted it with a few people that had problems before........ they say the animation is still slow and laggy.... the stuff did not slide across smoothly as it does with other systems. (and was designed to do)

Its getting really frustrating, because I get lots of people raving about how cool it is and how well it plays, etc etc. but then there have been quite a few that flamed me,stating I must be some sort of moron to have a site that plays so slow. Not that I can't take critisizm, but when I get bashed for something that doesnt seem to be my fault, it makes it worse.

I have heard rumors about the Flash plugin sometimes going corrupt and causing improper display... so perhaps this is it.... but even that I have no control over......

If anyone else has heard any other rumors, please post for my sanity......