A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: textfields on the fly

eLearning Dev Monkey

textfields on the fly

afternoon

here is my problem

i am creating textfields on the fly, moving them about and changing the formatting. this works fine when i test the movie it is all being done in. unfortunately, the movie they are held in "interface.swf" is loaded into _level1 of another movie.

When i come to test it from this base movie, the text fields have noe content. i can hover over them and get the text select mouse pointer, but not see what's there. the variables are being loaded okay, according to the debugger...

any ideas?
    www.MultimediaMarketing.Com
    Global Learning - Better Marketing

Banned
    Attach your .flas or mockups re-creating the situation.

eLearning Dev Monkey
    the zip file was too big so i've put it here

the base file, from which everything is to be launched is in:

tuts >> testTuts >> c2t4.swf

interface.swf is the file where the textfields are created, go to the frame marked 'overview', then to the layer 'overview', it is all in a movieclip there.

you may also want to install the font. the whole point of this escapade is for multi-language tutorials... the black buttons plonked on screen are supposed to switch between languages (arabic and english).

before you ask, i'm not allowed to change the overall design, so the textfields have to be moved to account for arabic being read right to left...

cheers!

?

sounds similar to a problem i just had with a dynamic graph loading data from an xml file. The graph.swf would run fine by itself but when loaded into another index.swf as a movie clip (ie creating an empty movie clip to load it into) it would not draw any data points. Turned out that i needed to reset the target paths in the graph.swf.

Was using:

_root.lines....
    _root.dataname....etc

should have used:

_root.container.lines....
    _root.container.dataname....etc

where "container" is the name of the emptymovieclip the graph.swf is loaded into in the index.swf.

Could this be the problem in your case?

Hope that makes sense, sounded alot clearer in my head.

exactly what the previous post said - while a movie may work fine alone, when included into another, the _root locations will be off. you have to find out what movie clip this is being included from and add that into the target. i just had to do this on a few of my loadedmovies for my new design. just recheck everything and test it in the actual file that includes the submovie.

eLearning Dev Monkey
    as far as i remember, for this mockup, any variables referenced are all in the same movie clip, so there are no calls to _root variables in the first place.