dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: trying to use html frames into flash

trying to use html frames into flash

Ok,

I am just beginning to learn more about Flash MX and Actionscripting for work and I have a question regarding html frames.

I am working on a project that requires the use of frames. For example, have the buttons on one side and when you click a button the information appears on the other side of the document.

Can this be done in flash MX. If so how?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Yes. It can be done...When using HTML frames, each page that appears in a frame is actually a separate HTML file. So as long as you understand how to use frames, all you have to do is create separate SWFs & publish them for HTML (just to be safe)...then on each button, use getURL script & make the target the name of the frame...

i.e. -
    Code:
    on(press) {
    getURL("moviename.html",HTMLframename);
    }
    I don't use frames b/c netscape doesn't like them, but this should work...
    make sense?

Banned
    The frame's name must also be between double quotes!
    code:

on(release) {
    getURL("moviename.html","HTMLframename");
    }

using frames

thanks for the information, guys. one question though, when I am finished can I wrap this up in swf file and publish it or would I end up using several html pages.

Banned

actionscript will be included in swf
    the html page will not

You could do the whole page in Flash rather putting a flash movie in one frame that links to html in another frame. Flash gives you infinite flexibility to have objects interact all over the page rather than being confined to frames, tables, etc. In fact, I'd say that this, even more than animation abilities, is Flash's raison d'etre.

On the other hand, if for some reason you have to use html files (so that they're searchable, or you have a web admin who doesn't like Flash because she claims it is too difficult for users to "relearn" how to navigate or because she says it eats up bandwidth or she just can't tell which way the wind is blowing ... ), then the advice you've been given so far is good.

using frames in flash

The public, you are on the right track. Sorry i couldn't have been more clearer. I do not want to use html at all but would like to get the same affect using flash only. I can't use any html.

Can anyone provide any suggestions?

What I am trying to achieve is have buttons on the left side (vertical) of the page and when I click the appropraite button then then information appears on the right side of the page.

then you could just use separate Movieclips...i thought you HAD to use html frames...

just do each animation in it's own MC then drag each MC to the specific position on the screen...or call it dynamically with AS...

Banned

Thanks guys

Thanks iguanagirl32 (hope you get another one), The Public, and especially Oldnewbie for the help you provided thus far. It has been much appreciated. I did have two questions though Oldnewbie, how do get the text information to appear just as you have it on your site under the tutorial In Flash: Make it Legible!. I will assume it is the same procedure as the tutorial on creating a full site but wanted to make sure. Also I understand that it is better to use vector graphics rather than bitmaps . If that is true, what do you have to do to make a vector graphic. Do i need something like Fireworks to accomplish this?

Again thank eveyone for the help.

while it doesn't have the best drawing capabilities, you can use Flash to draw your vector graphics...