A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: TRUE protect from import?

will flash for food!!

TRUE protect from import?

Hi, I recently lost one of my .fla's to and old movie and only had the swf, So I got a swf decomiler to grab the graphics off of the swf to restart and redo the whole movie..

The program I got was "******* SWF Decompiler 2002"

It worked great.. better than great! I was amazed to see that it actually grabs the actionscript out of the swf..

But now that I have re done and finished my project.. I tried publishing it with "Protect from import" on with a password. And then tried opening it with swf decompiler to see what happened..

Unfortunatly I could and can still see all my graphics, actionscrip sounds.. EVERYTHING!!..

Is there any real way to protect my hard work?
    Please help.. thanks

Banned
    Do you really want an answer?

What if there was and you had used it on your original file... Then what?

will flash for food!!
    I know to back my stuff up better now.. and yes, i do want an answer

The very first thing to consider here is that if we all cared about hiding our code, these FlashKit forums would be useless. The developer community progresses by sharing our knowledge. Sometimes you come up against a brick wall in Flash, and without a little snippet of code someone offers here you'd be stuck for days (or longer!).

There are programs that will scramble your Actionscript code. Is there any way to protect your work 100%? No.

There are cases where you'll want to protect your code. Cases where you're doing Flash based logins, secure transactions, etc. In those cases the best method is to not put any critical data in the Flash movie itself. Have Flash grab it from variables passed from servers, etc.

I used to be VERY concerned about other people stealing my code. Funny thing though, once I got pretty proficient with Actionscript, I stopped caring. A person who steals your code is looking to either to avoid hiring a person like you or is trying to compete with you on a skills level.

If a person just doesn't want to hire a Flash developer, they're not the kind of person you want to work with anyway. Anyone who steals your code in order to pretend they have certain skills will never be able to match you. You learn a lot more from the code you write yourself than from the code you take from someone else. I know that any code I write today I can write better 3 months from now. Any person out there stealing my code can't claim that.

Finally, stop being so cocky, most people are less than interested in stealing your code.

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    w0w...that was deep

rdoyle720, good answer! I totally agree. I don't care if people use decompilers on my movies. In fact, I often publish the .fla on the net so that they don't have to.

Goooold Member!
    I also agree with rdoyle720. Who cares if somebody decompiles your code. You don't make money off the code anyway, you make money off the artistry and inginuity. Nobody can decompile that. I personally would consider it flatery to have somebody take the time and effort to decompile my swfs because they thought they were so good.

The fact is that most people couldn't find a decompiler if they wanted to. Even if they did, they'd probably head straight for neostream or 2advanced, not your code.

If you want your code to be 100% safe then write in C++ instead of an open format like swf.

will flash for food!!
    Guys... please.. im just asking if there is a way to hide my actionscript.. people can get through my login if they see the actionscript...

If i didnt have a login i wouldnt care but before you guys go out talkin about "bein cocky" and "let people se your code" please ask me why i would want to hide the code instead of jumping to conclusions... thanks

If you're making a login then there is no secure way of doing the login check in Flash. If you want it to be reasonably secure, you have to use a server side script.

Do a search on Google or these boards on Actionscript Obfuscator, or something like that. That'll help somewhat.

Goooold Member!
    If you have to do a secure logon then the only way to do that through actionScript is by passing your login info to a PHP script and having the PHP script handle the login verification. That way all the secure info stays in the php script, which hopefully secured on your web server.

If someone really wanted to see your code, then they're going to find a way to see your code. The only thing that yuo can do is make it difficult for them to see it. Obfuscate it, encrypt it, whatever you think is best, but you'll never be able to stop the determined.

j