A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yet another site check please...

Yet another site check please...

http://5thavedesign.com

All comments are welcomed. There may be some 'bugs' yet surrounding the preloader, please let me know. Also I have to add clickable links to the portfolio sites yet. Otherwise what do you all think?

cool design,
    but i had a very hard time reading anything, the font is too small.
    might be cool with some sound.

Font size probably won't be changed. Thanks for your comments though!

yes, I couldn't read the text lower left corner. I know you said it probably won't be changed (the font), but felt I had to tell you. I didn't care for the mouseovers for the buttons. It shows you that you rolled over the button, then it goes away. I wasn't sure if I was still on the button or not. Other then that....looks good, nice photos.

wd

Hey :: your site sort of resembles mine :: :: wow :: thats crazy :: I guess we think alike :: thats a TV right or is that a computer monitor? :: nice :: I just finished my site :: www.a5xdesign.com :: give me some feedback if you have time :: thank you

Those were good comments, I'll definitely change the buttons probably so that when your mouse is over the button it will be slightly brighter. And I'll make the contact us (bottom left) font a little lighter as well and hopefully then it will be more readable. I don't know why the fonts are a bit difficult to read for some, I can read them fine on my 1024x768 resolution.

Hey that's odd, isn't it? Let's just pretend it's a plasma tv, but I made it up after hours of work. I wish it was mine, personally, but I'll have to be content for the time being with my old 1975-ish clunker. Re: your site a5x... i like your masking skills...
    For those finding the fonts difficult to read - should I maybe embed the fonts? Maybe you aren't seeing my fonts and just seeing some other default font that your computer substituted instead?
    Also if anyone has any great idea of how to provide a link to each of the sites in my portfolio, I would like to hear that as well.

5thavedesign,

Sounds like you have some good ideas on things to change. Yeah I am not sure about the fonts in terms of why they are not easy to read. I am running 1024x768 and can't read them. I switched to 800x600 and still couldn't read it. I am running IE6.0 and have my default web page font set to Arial and my default plain text font set to Lucida Console. What shows up on my screen is something that looks similar to Times New Roman as far as I can guess. The most important thing on your site is 1) your content 2) being able to contact you. If they don't see that then you won't get any clients. I can send a screen shot to you offline if you like. Show you what I see.

wd

Yes, would you mind sending it? Thanks, that will help me a lot...

okay, first post in site check, so take it with a grain of salt.

i like the site a lot, especially the text effect of writing over the previous text. anyone got a tutorial or inspiration on that effect? also, i really like the transitions with the brightness, resize and fade effect. again, anyone with a tutorial or inspiration?

a couple things i would change - in the portfolio, i would show the description of work with the preview photo rather than force the user to select both the button and then the vertical bar next to the button.

second, in process i would do something to the buttons so the user knows which step they are on. it would give them a sense of security knowing they have hit all the steps while viewing.

third, in the home, process, services and purpose, i would start with copy (stat 1, paragraph 1, services, step 1, respectively) so the user doesn't have to click to see copy to start.

more on the usability side, but design-wise i like it to - simple, clean, i don't have a problem with the fonts, they come in clear. (i have fff harmony installed - embed it and you should be fine.)

my two cents - regards . . .
    Last edited by mediafield; 08-13-2003 at 10:45 AM.

The idea of having the content in a TV sucks!! It really does... it just doesnt work for me... try something else m8.
    MY OTHER HAIR doo IS AN AFRO

Originally posted by aka_tech
    The idea of having the content in a TV sucks!! It really does... it just doesnt work for me... try something else m8.
    LOL! Poor aka_tech, you didn't think of it first? Sorry to hear you don't approve, but that's all it is, is an idea, and ideas are spawned out of creativity... however if you have any better ideas then I'd be happy to hear them!

Originally posted by wdperson
    5thavedesign, Yeah I am not sure about the fonts in terms of why they are not easy to read. I can send a screen shot to you offline if you like. Show you what I see.
    wd
    Yeah, thanks for the screenshot. They definitely don't look like they should on your screen. They should all look like the font in the buttons. I'll work on that, maybe try to embed them. In the meantime, for those who may be curious, it's the FFF_Harmony font found at fontsforflash.com so if you download and install that you will see the fonts on my site.

Originally posted by mediafield
    in the portfolio, i would show the description of work with the preview photo rather than force the user to select both the button and then the vertical bar next to the button.

second, in process i would do something to the buttons so the user knows which step they are on. it would give them a sense of security knowing they have hit all the steps while viewing.

third, in the home, process, services and purpose, i would start with copy (stat 1, paragraph 1, services, step 1, respectively) so the user doesn't have to click to see copy to start.

more on the usability side, but design-wise i like it to - simple, clean, i don't have a problem with the fonts, they come in clear.

my two cents - regards . . .
    Mediafield... Awesome points! Thanks a lot.
    Re: portfolio: you don't know how long i have tried to make the buttons do what i want, to no avail (YET). Obviously I want 1 button to do two things but with dynamic text and the photos sliding... well, it's difficult.
    Re:buttons: another great point. I'll see what I can do about that.
    Re:copy: another great point.
    Re:fonts: you must have FFF_harmony installed?

yes, i have fff harmony installed . . . using it at mediafield.us, which i am just starting to build concepts for

5thavedesign,

I am glad that helped. Now you know I am not crazy....LOL. I will check out that font on FFF and that should do the trick. I will let you know how I do.....

wd

I don't think your background matches your flash design at all. When I see your background, I'm expecting something non-technical looking. Not a screen.

It seems that you have a decent knowledge of actionscript. I'd say pull it out of the screen and work in a re-sizing border/window.

Originally posted by MarvynDT
    I don't think your background matches your flash design at all. When I see your background, I'm expecting something non-technical looking. Not a screen.

It seems that you have a decent knowledge of actionscript. I'd say pull it out of the screen and work in a re-sizing border/window.
    I liked the look of the background which is why i chose it, but i had the hardest time figuring out which one/type to use. What do you (or anyone else) think? I'm stuck as far as that goes.
    When you say pull it out what do you mean by that? Just forget the whole tv screen idea?

When you say pull it out what do you mean by that? Just forget the whole tv screen idea?
    Yes, forget the tv screen. BUT keep the working structure that you currently have. I like the resizing window. Perhaps working on that will definitely work better with your background.

perfectly perplexed
    even when you're using a pixel font, some of the texts are a bit difficult to read. Other than that, I like your site, although you might want to rethink some of the colour schemes (like in the portfolio link: white text against light oak background is a bit difficult to read).