A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "exec" Command of FSCommand doesnot work in Windows 2000, WHY?

Linux + BeOS = ? ? ? ? ? ? connect2nikhil's Avatar

"exec" Command of FSCommand doesnot work in Windows 2000, WHY?

The "exec" command in FSCommand doesnot work in Windows 2000. Can someone tell me why? I am making a desktop enhancing application for my desktop in office, so that I can access all my required softwares using this one panel instead of going to Start Menu>Programs>{Software_Name}.

I created a flash file with all the buttons for softwares and used the code:

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "Drive:\\{Software_Path}\\{Software_Name}.exe" );
    }

Can someone help me out.

SOS!!!!
    Last edited by connect2nikhil; 08-13-2003 at 04:43 AM.
    To design is Human. To Flash is Divine.- Nikhil "NicK" Desai
    Anyone, who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.
    Anyone, who continues learning stays young.
    The greatest thing in life is to keep learning and stay young. - Henry Ford

For Flash MX the exe you want to launch must be in a folder called fscommand and that folder must be located at the same level as your original file you are calling from. The folder name is not included in the argument however, the script stays the same as listed above.

If you want to launch other types of files i.e word, pdf etc take a look at
    http://jstart.***********.com

Please take a look at the example files provided and the Macromedia site

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...projectors.htm

Originally posted by *********** Support Team
    For Flash MX the exe you want to launch must be in a folder called fscommand and that folder must be located at the same level as your original file you are calling from. The folder name is not included in the argument however, the script stays the same as listed above.

If you want to launch other types of files i.e word, pdf etc take a look at
    http://jstart.***********.com

Please take a look at the example files provided and the Macromedia site

http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...projectors.htm
    Can't I open an exe like flash.exe from Flash folder. Previously when I used the same with Flash MX in Windows 98, it worked. But when I use the same in Windows 2000, it is not working.

Please help me out.

mmm. seems you haven't read this link

http://www.macromedia.com/support/f..._projectors.htm

Please do.

As I said you need to create a FSCOMMAND sub directory and add the
    {Software_Name}.exe inside there.

projector.exe
    <FSCOMMAND>
    software_name.exe

In the FLA you should have

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "projector.exe");
    }

I think, U got confused again.

I'm attaching a file (.fla), see the way I opened it. It works in Windows'98 but why doesn't it work in Windows'2000.

I know how to open an exe but the same code does not work in Windows'2000.

Forum, Forum, Help Me Out.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    The command you've provided will DEFINITELY NOT work in the Flash MX standalone EXE player on any system.So if you're making that EXEC call from a Flash EXE file it should work the same (and fail) on both operating systems.

If you're just running the SWF then you will be using whatever version of the standalone player is installed on each machine. If your 98 machine is using a Flash 5 player it will continue to work (as long as your SWF file is not published with compression turned on).

That would certainly explain the discrepancies you're seeing...

Originally posted by Northcode
    The command you've provided will DEFINITELY NOT work in the Flash MX standalone EXE player on any system.So if you're making that EXEC call from a Flash EXE file it should work the same (and fail) on both operating systems.

If you're just running the SWF then you will be using whatever version of the standalone player is installed on each machine. If your 98 machine is using a Flash 5 player it will continue to work (as long as your SWF file is not published with compression turned on).

That would certainly explain the discrepancies you're seeing...
    Me thinks, U got a bit confused I said I made an exe in flash mx, the exe is calling the applications at my place. Whereas, when I use the same technique at my office, the applications are not being called. I use windows Me at my place and Windows 2000 at Office.

I said, the applications being linked using exec command are not opening when I use Windows 2000 as my operating system, whereas If I use it on Windows'98 or Windows Me, they are working.

There is no confusion, the behavior of the Flash MX EXEC command is well documented on the Macromedia web site and has been the subject of much discussion since Flash MX was first released.

The command below will NOT work in Flash MX on any system whether it's run as an SWF or a Flash MX created EXE.

fscommand("exec", "Drive:\\{Software_Path}\\{Software_Name}.exe" );

All Flash MX allows is the filename (file.exe) the ":" and "\" characters (and any spaces in the patghs) in the argument will cause this command to fail (silently).

In addition, the EXE file you want to run must be in a folder called fscommand that exists in the same directory as your projector. Again, this has been well documented and is not dependent on the OS you're using, it's built into the Flash MX player (browser and stand alone versions).

If you're using some kind of third party projector tool then this could work and could even work differently on Win2K and 98 as you described (depending on how the third party tool works).

Now something more frustating...

Hi! Northcode

Thanks for the help dude. But I wanna know something more, can this be done this way.

I create multiple SWF's and paste them in the respective folders and call them while i'm using my projector file.

i.e, I load an SWF from the software folder and them from that SWF, I call the exe file, stored in the FSCommand folder in that directory.

I *believe* that the fscommand folder that the projector looks for is relative to the location of the projector file and not the location of the SWF file that you have loaded so you're stuck with the main fscommand folder.

You could create a bunch of helper EXE files in the main fscommand folder that launched EXE files from other folders on the CD. You could even create these helper EXE files as Flash 5 projectors using tools available at www.flashtools.net or www.aritali.com.

You would need one helper for each EXE file you wanted to run. The idea is to embed the path to the EXE file in the helper app so you don't have to pass it on the command line (which you can't do from Flash MX).

Thanks for the support Northcode.

One more post.

1) Can I create an projector in Flash 5 and use it to call the exe applications from flash 5 projector?

2) If I make the same application what I said in flash 5 and call the SWF in a web browser, will it work like flash 5 SWF in web browser or it will work as Flash 6 SWF in the web browser?

1. Yes, Flash 5 projectors are a lot more flexible. You still can't have spaces in arguments but you can get around that (since you're creating the CD layout)

2. First, the EXEC command won't work from a Web browser But being version dependent is a bigger problem in the browser world since you can't control what version of the Flash player your users might have.

I think, I should stick to Flash 5 now to create this application. I think I should make a projector in Flash 5. It does wonders man.

If you're creating CD projects in Flash and you don't have a budget for third party tools, Flash 5 is the best solution. There are a number of free tools and utilities that can be used with Flash 5 and the less restricted FSComnand function. Here are a couple you might want to check out, just for starters...

www.extendingflash.com
    www.flashtools.net
    www.aritali.com

Originally posted by connect2nikhil
    I think, U got confused again.

I'm attaching a file (.fla), see the way I opened it. It works in Windows'98 but why doesn't it work in Windows'2000.

I know how to open an exe but the same code does not work in Windows'2000.

Forum, Forum, Help Me Out.
    This may seem like a no brainer but you know the install paths in win me and win 98 are different than win 2000 don't you? Win 98 and me use a version of dos where win 2000 is actually an integration of win NT so defalt install paths on win 98 would be like c:\windows\etc whereas win 2000 would be c:\ntname\etc I can't remember if it was winnt or something else (been a while) it would depend on where you were calling the programs from.

This might be why it would work on one but not the other if it were done using flash 5 not sure about flash xp.

Just figured I would try to help
    http://www.timewarped.com
    http://www.ninjaclub.com

Originally posted by nc9999
    This may seem like a no brainer but you know the install paths in win me and win 98 are different than win 2000 don't you? Win 98 and me use a version of dos where win 2000 is actually an integration of win NT so defalt install paths on win 98 would be like c:\windows\etc whereas win 2000 would be c:\ntname\etc I can't remember if it was winnt or something else (been a while) it would depend on where you were calling the programs from.

This might be why it would work on one but not the other if it were done using flash 5 not sure about flash xp.

Just figured I would try to help
    Replying again, I said that I wish to call softwares like Flash, Dreamweaver and these unlike windows installation folder are independent. These are installed in Program Files folder only.

So, I think, I should get back to my good old Flash 5 for this and remaning all shall be done in My own Flash MX

Ok,

I did the same in Flash 5 and it works. Why isin't this the same in Flash MX, when Flash mx is just an upgrade of Flash 5.

I just can't wait any longer to lay my hands on Flash MX 2004. Heard it has a lot of actionscripting features.

Part of the Flash MX upgrade was increased security to stop things like the SWF/LFM-926 virus from happening again. Go to http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/swflfm926.html and read about all the gory details.

Nicole Jacobson
    Well, this is sort of off topic of the problem, but why don't you just use the task bar. You can simply drag shortcuts of your application into the taskbar at the bottom of your window, then you have an automatic 'shortcut menu' of the programs you use often. Then you don't even have to open your flash.exe to get to them.

Originally posted by twist118
    Well, this is sort of off topic of the problem, but why don't you just use the task bar. You can simply drag shortcuts of your application into the taskbar at the bottom of your window, then you have an automatic 'shortcut menu' of the programs you use often. Then you don't even have to open your flash.exe to get to them.
    I think you belong to the confused lot. Everyone knows that shortcuts can be created using that drag and drop stuff.

Wanna do it in Flash. This ain't a forum for Windows but this is 4 Flash and if a Q is a ked for flash then it means that its for FLASH.