A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Architect's website [beta]

Architect's website [beta]

This is an almost completed website for a Sydney based architecture firm.

MDC beta site

It took some Swishing (If I had a $ for every Tell Target...)

Most of the text is latin at present (still waiting for the client).

Highlights are probably the 'Projects' and 'Contact' section at this stage.

I would be interested in feedback.

very nice. i like it. simple yet "techi" looking at the same time. smooth transitions and great color combinations.

WONDERFUL!!!!

It's the level I hope to get to. If you have any tips to share I would love to learn how you did a lot of it...

Great job,
    MrMarkess

Thank you for the positive rap

MrMarkess - if there is anything in particular you would like to know - let me know - I'd be happy to help.

SH

If you have time

I would like to know how you created that trace effect when the logo comes in, and when it traced the outline of the structure. If you could give me some direction, and maybe do a simple file and let me study it that would be great. I'm not one for copying someones work, I like to learn how it works so I can get better at it.

I do appreciate it, and thank you very much.

MrMarkess

The building trace - and the circle traces with the logo are all created using masked sprites.

You will know that you have the option to 'mask' a sprite using the bottom most shape within the sprite. (You have to turn the 'mask' option on in the Sprite panel).

For the building trace, I had the mask (a large rectangle) off stage, then using move effects - animated it up and across. This gives the effect of the building being traced.

The circles in the logo use a rotating rectangular mask.

Hope this makes sense.

SH

kiss designer
    Excellent Job. I really liked the building trace and the map you made. The zoom feature worked really slick. I also noticed your text is very clear. Any secrets on the text? It seems like all of the sites I make with Swish have blurry text. I tried many things such as making the text align at the top left, making the x y coordinates whole numbers but the text still seems blurry. Maybe it's the font I'm using. Anyways great job and I believe your cient will be very happy with the results.

Trevr
    www.spectrumsoftware.com
    www.webdesigners411.com

How'd ya do that?

I think your site is a pleasure to look at. I truly appreciate the work that went into this project.
    I'm pretty new to the Swish world, but I've been figuring it out as I go and having fun (when not frustrated that something doesn't work). In other words, any learning advice would be greatly helpful.

With that in mind, on your projects page, how did you get the initial menu area to disappear when you click on a project? and then make the project disappear when switching to a new project? You've really got me stumped and I'd love to learn how create that look.

Thank you so much for any swish wisdom you can hand down.

Joelle

Thank you for the positive comments!

In answer to your questions:

To avoid blurry fonts - you must use so-called 'pixel fonts' these are readily available on the web. Have a look at this thread in the support forum: http://archives.swish-tutorials.com/...?act=tut&id=11

The main movie makes use of loading external swf files into different levels. Each project you click on for example - is loaded into a new level.

The other trick is to use 'fake variables' These are essentially sprites that have no content except for their own timeline with actions. You control them using tell target actions. You might like to look at the creating fake variables tutorial

In my example, I use many of these sprites. Take one example: controlling the action to remove a loaded project. I have a sprite called 'clear_project', and it is divided up into sections with labels and stop actions. When a particular project (say projectA) is loaded, the projectA swf tells the clear_project sprite to goto the label 'ready_to_clear_projectA'. Immediately after this label is a stop action and then on the next frame all of the actions needed to remove projectA.

When the next project is loaded its first frame contains an action to tell target 'clear_project' to 'play'...

I'm sure that is clear as mud!

JAyzEE
    wow its really great work.
    and really swishy too.
    simply great work.
    Junaid Zamir

clear up the mud?

Okay, so I went through the fake variables tutorial and just when I thought I was making progress, now it seems every step I take makes things worse.

Is there any possibility you could send me a sample of how you laid out your "clear_project" sprite and maybe I can actually get my movie to work. Or explain how you set it up in the frames. (Can you tell I'm new to swish?)

Here's what I've got ... for every button, I have it directed towards three individual sprites. I can't seem to figure out how to get rid of the three sprites when I click on the next button to bring up the next set of sprites. That tutorial was really helpful for a button with one connected sprite, but I can't seem to make the leap to two or more connected sprites.
    Help?

I truly appreciate any helpful advice.
    Thanks!
    J

vitruvius

- Can you explane again or more exactly how you created the outline at the begining?

- How did you do the zoom on the map. (I probably know on this one but wanted to hear to be sure)

I'm a Swish newbie.

thanks for any help.

Will

uauuuuuuuuuuuuu nice job...very easy to navigate in your web site ...one question I don't like the buttons....so the web site is perfect....

regards

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread - with the release of Swishmax - I have been busy playing

In answer to your questions:

Will_03: The outline at the start of the site is created using a sprite that is masked. The building oultine is a shape drawn in Swish. It is placed inside a sprite. This sprite as the 'Masked' option turned on. The mask is a rectangle also placed within the sprite (as the bottom most object). The rectangle is placed almost off stage - then using tranform and move actions - it is moved so it aligns with the oultine shape. When the sprite is played it the looks like the outline is drawing itself...

joelle2003: Perhaps you should send me a file or post it here so I can see what you are trying to achieve. I know from experience that it is hard to describe in writing

SH

did u do your entire site in swish? and is swishmax any good? i wasnt all that impressed with their samples..
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

The site is done entirely in Swish v2.0 but it would have been considerably easier in SwishMax.

SwishMax is great! I agree with you about the sample files - I to thought they were a bit lame... BUT :- SwishMax has many many advantages over Swish v2.0 and (IMO) Flash MX as well:

- Easy yet powerful scripting (Swishscript)
    - 100's of effects built in
    - Powerful text tools
    - Extensive drawing tools
    - Low price point

SH