A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Flashkit going to the dogs?

Is Flashkit going to the dogs?

I submitted a movie to Flashkit a while back:
    http://www.flashkit.com/movies/Basic...6166/index.php

It's been up on FK for a few years but has a small error in the code. I get several emails each week from FK users asking why it isn't working. So I asked FK to replace the file with one that's correct. Trouble is, in 2 years I must have asked them 20+ times to change it, and they still havent. I've got a thread in the feedback forum, which so far has been completely ignored and I was wandering if other users have had similar experiences?

So my question is this... Is Flashkit going to the dogs, or is this a one off? Discuss

Sheesh... what a winger... have you emailed help_me_john@flashkit.com ?

FK's official coffee addict gasbag15's Avatar
    Is Flashkit going to the dogs?

Yes..

I don't think so. But if the dogs happen to be really stiff, and have no humor, the coffee lounge might.

Markie warkie, is that a real e-mail address?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    I don't think so. But if the dogs happen to be really stiff, and have no humor, the coffee lounge might.
    dooh!! thats me

my answer: yes it is... day by day

Civilian
    Originally posted by itworks
    my answer: yes it is... day by day
    Because?

because you don't come here more often to keep it in order, because links are getting broken more and more everyday, because resources are getting more desorganized and out of date, in resume a little negligence lately, but this is just my opinion... i'm sure it's a lot of work and hard work but get more people to help then, lot of people that would gladly do out there.

Civilian
    I've spent countless hours building systems so that others can help and they drop off after 2 - 8 weeks. Can't do it any more, so I'm trying to get as much done as I can, and eventually make it so the original submitters can manage their own stuff.

A lot of the problems posted in the forum are being worked on, because they are addressed in the new backend design. The problem is, the backend design is huge. I've been here two hours trying to clean up, so that's another two hours of development that isn't getting done. There is progress being made, it's just extremely slow. As soon as I can get the first full section converted -- the loops section, then people can update their loops, which will cut that much work out. The next will be movies, so people can update their own, etc, etc.

i'm glad to hear the work is being done and for what it's worth i recognize that and give you credit. i imagine how huge it is to manage this site but that's the price of success i guess. so since a new backend in being design does that mean the whole site is going through a revamp? i think it would benefit from a redesign in some ways. keep the good work.

Civilian
    There won't be a visual redesign until the functional redesign is complete.

Do you need a visual redesign?

i don't they really need it but it would be very nice, a fresh look would do some good to FK, but i guess they are doing it well by starting from the backend.

The design right now s very easy on the eyes, but I geuss as soon as the backend is done, they or he or whoever can do want they want. Or we could do a vote?

Civilian
    There's been talk for over two years regarding a visual redesign. It would be nice to at least freshen it up, but it's not the crucial issue at the moment.

The problem with the site is that it grew too fast. It was pieced together in an effort to keep up, and over the past year and a half we've been trying to make it one functional unit. It's built on old technology, like HTML 3, and cgi that is a serious resource hog -- which was fine until the server couldn't handle anymore. There are several other issues. Like I said though, it was all just a rush to keep the site growing and working as it grew.

Right now I'm trying to get it ready for now and two years from now. The new system will build the sites in XHTML 1 and XML/XSLT/CSS. XHTML will be available to all browsers and XML will be available via browser detect once I know that the site is function with the new system. This way, as HTML is completely phased out, we'll still be current. We won't have to do this again 3 years from now and we can withstand a major increase in page views if it comes along.

Civilian
    Originally posted by I_am_TheFlasher
    The design right now s very easy on the eyes, but I geuss as soon as the backend is done, they or he or whoever can do want they want. Or we could do a vote?
    We may even accept submissions, or make it collaborative. I can't promise anything, but since this is a site for designers, it makes sense to let the member's be a part of the design. Jupiter will decide on that, but I'll happily propose it to them.

Im not really sure what you could do to improve the visual design. But then again thats just me, and I haven't been here long enough for it to get annyoing. So...yeah anyways, Can't wait till the site improves!

banned by dp
    I think this site works a ton better then most.And I wouldn't mind a new color scheme.

Originally posted by jstarkey
    We may even accept submissions, or make it collaborative. I can't promise anything, but since this is a site for designers, it makes sense to let the member's be a part of the design. Jupiter will decide on that, but I'll happily propose it to them.
    If you did except submissions I would deffenintly enter a design in.

Originally posted by jstarkey
    i think that's a great idea. I'd be glad to participate
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.