A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Question for ANY of you web developers....HeLp!

Question for ANY of you web developers....HeLp!

I am trying to create a simple form that routes information to an ms access database: http://www.dekalbhealth.net/test/form-experiment.htm i have also created another one at http://www.dekalbhealth.net/test/form-experiment.asp

problem: how is it possible to upload files to my server through this form? i designed the webpage in dreamweaver and routed the form results using frontpage. shouldnt frontpage be able to make this work??

am i doing something wrong?? i am more of a designer not much of a developer sorry..... hElP.....
    Last edited by J-Luv; 08-14-2003 at 04:22 PM.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

moved for better answers.
    Living the dream

What you're trying to do isn't as easy as just putting a file field on you page I'm afraid. You are using asp which meanse it is possible to upload files to a database but it does take a bit of work.

If this is your first time at using asp then it is a bit 'In at the deep end' but you shouldn't be put off - it just might take a bit more work than you had previously thought..

Here's a decent enough article to get you started:

http://www.asp101.com/articles/jacob/scriptupload.asp

And there's loads of components you can buy to get the job done.

Just do a search for asp upload.

Hope that helps.

Linux + BeOS = ? ? ? ? ? ? connect2nikhil's Avatar
    Uploading ASP page is fine.

Got to create DNS name in the CPanel of your web server.

Uploading is fine but script execution is most important. Check if the server you are hosting supports ASP
    To design is Human. To Flash is Divine.- Nikhil "NicK" Desai
    Anyone, who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty.
    Anyone, who continues learning stays young.
    The greatest thing in life is to keep learning and stay young. - Henry Ford

how would i create a DNS name on my web server? this should be something that is easily done on the control panel or would the tech support guys have to do it?

the server supports ASP....just not sure what to do for the script execution
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

I think connect2nikhil may have confused you slightly.

I assume he ment a DSN rather than a DNS...

A DSN is a data source name which, if you have a control panel with you hosting account, allows you to set up a name that you can use to connect to a database without having to type in the path to the database every time you connect to it.

If you are uploading to a database you will need either a dsn or just the path to the database to let your scripts know where the database is.

I also think connect2nikhil missed the point slightly on your upload question. If your server supports ASP then your scripts will execute - don't worry about that. There may be some issues with actually uploading files to the server though - Your host company may not let you keep .mp3 or .exe or other file types on the server so there may be problems having an asp script upload files.

Your first question to your host company should be - "Do you allow asp upload scripts"

If they do then look at that link I gave you earlier on.

loydall,

I never confused him or any one, My way of approach was totally wrong as I was in the last seconds of loggin out and hence had to give a reply fast.

I said, Uploading is fine but script execution is most important. Check if the server you are hosting supports ASP. This means that you can upload anything but the script gets executed only when your server supports ASP, am I right. That is what I asked him to check with the server, the support of ASP.

And as far as DNS is concerned, sorry it was just a typographical error.

Hey connect2nikhil,

I wasn't having a go mate. Your input is more than welcome. I just read it and J-Luv's response was:

the server supports ASP....just not sure what to do for the script execution..

So I assumed there was a bit of confusion going on there..

Sorry if I offended you but, like you, I was only trying to give some useful info..

Hey! I never felt offended. This is something we are doing so that people gain more knowledge. I don't say I'm 100% perfect or something. But we all are still in the learning process and this helps us a lot.

Like I give an idea and you try to correct something if something in that idea seems to be wrong and vice-versa.

Theres no point of offending.

As far as this thread is concerned, The server has support for ASP and that's what J-Luv's wants. I hope this comments have helped J-Luv.

Where's J-Luv? Did not hear since long. Its just we both posting message for each other and J-Luv's out of the scene.

J-Luv Come in. Come in. V R waiting.

Hey! loydall
    Prat at the back

How do I get that magical custom status view under my user name also.

Help me outta this.

hi

in which folder u will host these files that folder should be
    Thanks
    Baljit Singh Grewal
    Click here to email me
    Messengers: baljit@bsgrewal.com

Originally posted by connect2nikhil
    Hey! loydall
    Prat at the back

How do I get that magical custom status view under my user name also.

Help me outta this.
    I think you just set it in your user details - you have enough posts to have a cusom title....

Hope that helps

Originally posted by loydall
    I think connect2nikhil may have confused you slightly.

I assume he ment a DSN rather than a DNS...

A DSN is a data source name which, if you have a control panel with you hosting account, allows you to set up a name that you can use to connect to a database without having to type in the path to the database every time you connect to it.

If you are uploading to a database you will need either a dsn or just the path to the database to let your scripts know where the database is.

I also think connect2nikhil missed the point slightly on your upload question. If your server supports ASP then your scripts will execute - don't worry about that. There may be some issues with actually uploading files to the server though - Your host company may not let you keep .mp3 or .exe or other file types on the server so there may be problems having an asp script upload files.

Your first question to your host company should be - "Do you allow asp upload scripts"

If they do then look at that link I gave you earlier on.

hey thanks loydall, i thought he was talking about DNS (domain name system) and that put me on a whole other train of thought.

perhaps i should be more clear in my questions, but the overall goal i am trying to achieve is to have people fill out a form and the results routed to an SQL database......

i am having trouble learning how that process will work (i am a designer, graphics, flash animation, html, etc) so i am hoping that by having an upload field that will suffice for a while. assuming the server supports asp upload scripts, how would the whole process work?? i just copy and paste an ASP script for somewhere/someone and upload it into a folder on the server and that causes the upload field to work??

thanx for all you guys help, flashkit is really my only resource for info regarding web issuses since i am the only one in my department doing this...

Originally posted by connect2nikhil
    As far as this thread is concerned, The server has support for ASP and that's what J-Luv's wants. I hope this comments have helped J-Luv.

Where's J-Luv? Did not hear since long. Its just we both posting message for each other and J-Luv's out of the scene.

J-Luv Come in. Come in. V R waiting.
    My cpu crashed at home for some unknown reason so i can only post from work for now.

the comments have helped so far but i am still trying to understand how to actually execute this script function