A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Major Power Outage in NorthEast USA and Canada

the MSblast.exe worm wouldn't have taken it down.

But i have to say I'm proud of all those New Yorkers and all the others that had to deal with the power outage.. I bet everyone thought there would be widespread panic and chaos, looting and all that stuff.. but hear it was a more or less average night.

It was a joke.

Anyhow, headlines like the one on CNN.com sicken me, and justify my decision not to go into journalism:

"Outage fails to generate crime spree"

What a crying shame.

If any of these people actually visited New York, they would have seen people helping each other left and right - giving up seats on the few buses out of the city for elderly people, visiting disabled people in their homes, sharing water and food and cell phone calls, outside of their homes generally having as good a time as possible despite the situation.

I got home from Midtown Manhattan late last night thanks to a bus driver who went out of his normal route into Brooklyn to make up for the lack of buses coming in from the borough.

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    I hear detroit had some problems, I think 88 arrests.

In the 1977 blackout new york had over 1000 arrests.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Welcome to NYC my fave AP pic

It was a very interesting experience - we were out for just over 12 hours. At first when the computers went out, I thought it was local but then it soon became apparent that it was more serious than that. That was the longest hour (not knowing what was happening): traffic lights were out, roads gridlocked, sirens everywhere followed by helicopters flying around, my mobile phone was useless and people coming out in the streets were anxioulsy looking at each other.

But everyone pulled together. I was out walking late in the evening, but felt safe at all times.

Car drivers stopped and pumped up their car stereos so we could get the news updates, bars opened their doors welcoming everyone, people helped each other and even NYPD officers became the friendliest people in the world

My iPod (never go anywhere without it) became my flashlight last night --->(thanks Apple).

It's good to be back on. Though we have no tv yet so we rely on the net for news updates.

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by Aria
    Welcome to NYC my fave AP pic
    Looks like fun

Have they reported any deaths from heat exhaustion (or whatever you call it)... that group looks sort of, dead

Nothing in NYC from the heat. It only topped out at 90 yesterday, mid-90's today, not too bad.

I have a buddy who's an EMT in Manhattan. As soon as I can get a hold of him I'll share, he always has good stories.

Aria, I take it you did the Brooklyn Bridge scenic tour?
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Originally posted by CNO
    It was a joke.

Anyhow, headlines like the one on CNN.com sicken me, and justify my decision not to go into journalism:

"Outage fails to generate crime spree"

I saw that too. Last night they kept saying "There's no reports of looting yet..."

Cable news makes me sick. It's an insult to everyone who lived through this in Manhattan, and everyone who kept their cool walking miles in the heat home.

Someone should smack-up that b**** Aaron Brown on the air.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by PAlexC
    I saw that too. Last night they kept saying "There's no reports of looting yet..."
    It was the terroism thing that annoyed me. Every other word...

Yes, it went:

"terror... blah blah. 9/11 blah blah... Terrorism...... September 11..."

How did any of that have to do with the situation?

I hate them.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Aria, when did you move to New York? I've not seen you on here in quite a while. What are you doing there?

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    Yes, it went:

"terror... blah blah. 9/11 blah blah... Terrorism...... September 11..."

How did any of that have to do with the situation?

I hate them.
    It doesn't take a PhD to understand that any crippling event in NY will trigger a wide scale panic of some sort. Imagine going into the streets, seeing thousands of confused people, cell towers are down and only some pay phones work sparingly, No one can communicate what the actual problem is and after all we are human. Gossip is our second language. The media over plays everything! You don't know that by now? Of course people are going to think terrorism, the memories of the 9/11 are a recent and constant reminder each time you see two gigantic holes in the middle of your city. Complacency is what got us in trouble the first time around!
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    It was the terroism thing that annoyed me. Every other word...
    I liked the oxymoronic "We have absolutely no idea what caused the outage, but we are certain it is not terrorism."

I think there were very few injuries - one heat-related heart attack, last I heard (here in NY anyway).

There was a little bit of confusion at first, but all in all everyone took it in stride, and it was yery well handled. Regular people stepped up to direct traffic when the lights went out, and drivers were picking up anyone who was going in their direction.

An incident like this really does make you realize how dependent we are on electricity, tho. I know I'll be keeping lots more batteries around from now on.

Some really great photos/stories are starting to show up now:
    http://johnwehr.com/blackout/index.html