A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MSBlast destroys WindowsUpdate.com

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar
    Originally posted by gSOLO_01
    msblast didn't have anything to do with the dos attack on thursday... they took it down as a preventative measure for future attacks.
    you can keep fighting it but you are wrong. msblast was designed to knock down windowsupdate.com. This is very common. Yes it was preventative but the choice was either they throw in the white flag or msblast will kill it. Most DOS attacks used large networks (networks were easliy exploited in previous ms os) as a resource. This virus is much larger.

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5062524.html

As for CNO's comment well hes always paranoid about something. It was a joke.... lighten up its not a conspiracy.
    Last edited by Dr.Funk; 08-16-2003 at 02:08 PM.
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction
    'if you want a friend feed any animal' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

Dude, read the first sentence in the article you posted.

MSNBC News
    As part of its effort to stop the progress of the MSBlast worm, Microsoft is killing off the Windows Update address that the self-propagating program was set to attack.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

my point exactly.
    'of course this land is dangerous; all of the animals are capably murderous.... na na NA NA na na NA NA na na' - Janes Addiction

Even if there is only one, unique set of possible laws, it is only a set of equations. What is it that breathes fire into the equations, and makes a universe for them to govern. why does the universe bother to exist? Is the ultimate unified theory so compelling, that it brings about its own existence, or does it need a creator, and if so who created it? - credits SH

The virus didn't do it. It was Microsoft's decision.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

And if microsoft didnt.... (as the virus is being enhanced) the virus would have. Its gonna take a bit of vision to see it but i know you can. Viro_Rk i know your going to respond so tell me what would happen if microsoft didnt take the site down?

*predicts virgo wont take the bait*

Actually, as I'm not formiliar with the virus's affects, I cannot predict what would happen.

Sorry, I don't tell fortunes.

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Originally posted by Dr.Funk
    And if microsoft didnt.... (as the virus is being enhanced) the virus would have.
    Would have, could have; didn't... just thought I'd clarify

Was it only supposed to attack that one address? Is it over now?

I saw a transcript of the source and the only site mentioned was windowsupdate.com. It is down but you can goto windowsupdate.microsoft.com which is the microsoft domain. The virus will no doubt be re-designed to attack microsoft.com and other websites alike. Again what makes this virus so appealing to virus coders is ita ability to use million of computers rather than just a few choosen networks. Microsoft has a VERY strick policy on attachments as coders contuinually try to send support(ms support team or any ms emplyee on the huge MS network) files that will eventually be used to preform a DOS attack on themselves... the ultimate prize.

I have one question.

Why?

I mean, come on. They don't expect to acheive anything other than pissing off Microsoft, do they?

Virgo: Give up. Its useless trust me.
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

im lucky i have win me
    Only lucky in the 'not getting msblast worm' sense.

yeah me sucks