dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: flash sites on google?

flash sites on google?

hi. how would i go about putting my (full flash) website on search engines like google etc?

thanks.

_
    There are submit pages for all the major search engines, always hard to find, your gonna have to look around a bit.

Just put your site addresse in those and send it in, soon enough googlebot will go to your site and index it. Your in google!

If you have posted it on flash kit, theres a real good chance it will be up there soon, googlebot..ect.. is usually all over these boards.

-Mike

_
    Also, with a heavy site you might want to watch out for inktomi, they can have up to 20 spiders on your site at a time, uses up a ton of bandwidth, so you will probly want to add a robots.txt to your site, keep them off the heavy graphic stuff.

robots.txt is just a text file, heres an example of one.
    Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /images
    Disallow: /heavygraphicpages
    That will tell all bots not to go to /images and /heavygraphicpages, can also just put in the name of certain bots if you only want to target a couple.

Most bots check for the robots.txt, some dont.

-Mike
    Last edited by mikecoutermarsh; 08-15-2003 at 09:19 PM.

Originally posted by mikecoutermarsh
    Also, with a heavy site you might want to watch out for inktomi, they can have up to 20 spiders on your site at a time, uses up a ton of bandwidth, so you will probly want to add a robots.txt to your site, keep them off the heavy graphic stuff.

robots.txt is just a text file, heres an example of one.
    Code:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /images
    Disallow: /heavygraphicpages
    That will tell all bots not to go to /images and /heavygraphicpages, can also just put in the name of certain bots if you only want to target a couple.

Most bots check for the robots.txt, some dont.

-Mike
    where would i put this text? in html? flash?

thanks for your help. my site isnt that heacy yet, but it will increase as my experience increases.

_
    Just make a new txt file, name it robots.txt and upload it into the main directory of your site.

Using the example I put above you can set it so the spiders dont go to cetain directories.

I like to keep my images folder disallowed, keeps google image bot off it.

-Mike

put some text in a flash file, publish it (html and flash). then open up your html file. they have put the text in your flash file in your html. i.e.-

<--this text is in your flash file!-->
    <embed flash object html here>

nice feature for flash indexing on google, etc.

_
    You can also always add some text in html way down at the bottom.

-Mike

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    <METATAG> in your html can help, if the site spider doesn't recognize/ignores Flash content.

I've heard it said that more than 20 individual words in the meta tags is a waste. Maybe you'd want to keep that in mind.

There's also this thread, which has a ton of great info about securing listings on the search engines.

Click here
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Normally a Lurker
    About 2 years ago a senior developer gave us a copy of this to read. After laughing between ourselves for a while at the name and the fact that someone in the company had wasted their money on it (so we thought), we sat down and read it.
    Although much of it is common sense it is packed full of snipits and cheats of info that really help you out.

Also tells you which cheats the SE's know about and that you should avoid (ie: text same colour as background) and the locations of all the register pages.

Plus it is updated every month so you know its up to date!!

L.

ps. I don't work there!!
    "Dance your cares away,
    worries for another day,
    let the music play,
    down at Fraggle Rock."

If you have an all Flash site you can get it indexed by submitting it to the major engines. The chances of you getting any type of traffic from an all Flash site is slim to none. Google and most of the major search engines (except F.A.S.T.) cannot index swf files or any of the content inside of them. I would highly recommend creating an alternate html site so that the spiders can really index your content and site.

thanks you guys for all your help.

my site is html, with meta tags in (title and keywords). so i think i should be ok.

thanks.

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    bacon just inserting a .swf file into an html doc and adding a few metas will not cut it.

if you value se postioning you need to replant you site as a html site.

When I say html site I mean complete html no flash embedded. This html site needs to have alot of content and you need to establish a high number of inbound links to your site. Good title tags will help, but meta keywords have little to no relevance to Google.