A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Modem compatibility

Hybrid View

Flash Bwad Bwoy

Modem compatibility

I've recently built a Flash 6 site: Superconductor

All of the content is defined in XML documents, and loaded dynamically when required. This includes JPEGS, MP3 soundtrack and TEXT. This system dramatically cuts down site pre-load time.

The problem is that the MP3 soundtracks, despite being relatively low-bandwidth, take up pretty much all of a 56k modem connection. This means that images (especially the photo gallery thumbnails) don't load before the timeout functions trip in...

The site uses Flash 6 local variable storage, so if you turn the music off, and re-load the page, it remembers. This solves the problem.

--------------------------

What I want to build is some kind of auto connection speed detection that dynamically disables music if the connection is slow. The most obvious way is to time how long the site takes to load, but if it's the second or third visit it will be buffered so this won't be valid, wheras the music is randomly selected so can change every time.

Does anyone know a good way to get a reliable estimate of network connection bandwidth ?

Thanks,
    A.

Hi,
    even JS uses that method: comparing the time it takes to load. To prevent the caching in your detection, you could append a random var after some loaded detector swf.
    loadMovieNum("detector.swf?r="Math.round(Math.rand om()*999999),1);
    has not been tested. Just an idea
    gparis

Flash Bwad Bwoy
    Of course!
    I forgot about doing that. It should do the trick, cheers mate.

A.