A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: static text using imported font disappears if text contains link

static text using imported font disappears if text contains link

hi,

i'm building a site using the font FFF Harmony. the site consists of a main movie and several submovies that are loaded into various levels using loadMovieNum.

in order to minimize the size of each submovie, i added the FFF Harmony font to my main movie library and set its linkage options to "export for runtime sharing". i then dragged the exported font into the library of each of my submovies, so that each submovie could access the font from the main movie's library.

this all works fine and reduces the size of my submovies, as it should. HOWEVER, i've noticed that my submovie FFF Harmony static text fields disappear if they contain a link. if i remove the link, the static text field reappears. it's really strange.

has anyone else seen this? does anyone know why it might be happening? i haven't tested this with other fonts, but presumably this is not just limited to FFF Harmony.

in the end, i wound up changing the static text fields that contained links to dynamic text fields with "render text as HTML" checked, and that fixed the problem.

perhaps it's because static text fields try to embed the font even when there's no need to (it's already embedded in the main movie's library), and consequently there is some sort of conflict?? but if that's the reason, why does the conflict manifest itself only when there's a link in the static text field? wouldn't it affect all static text fields?

This is my best bet:
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/fl...t_outlines.htm

Supposing you are using html "a href" tag to create link.

hi tony,

i read the tech note, but i don't believe it's relevant to my particular problem (although it looks like the symptoms are similar).

i'm not using anchor tags to create my links. i'm creating links in my static text fields by highlighting the linked text and specifying the link URL in the Properties panel.

i'm also not using italic or bold.... just plain FFF Harmony.

thanks though.

I tried to reproduce this behaviour, but had no success

Whatever I set the text box, link or no link, static or dynamic, it still shows.

Are you sure you havent changed the font symbol in main movie after you dragged it to libraries of submovies? That was only time I managed to lose text, sadly it had nothing to do with linking from text box.

hi tonypa,

sorry it took me a while to get back to you. i ran a few more tests, and the problem only manifests itself with FFF Harmony. do have that font? if not, you can download it for free at http://www.fontsforflash.com/ in their "freebie" section.

if you have some free time, try downloading the font and recreating the problem. here's what i'm doing:

1. main movie consists of single frame with the following actionscript in frame 1...

loadMovieNum("submovie.swf", 1);

2. library of main movie contains FFF Harmony font with "export for runtime sharing" checked.

3. submovie.swf consists of single frame with two static text fields both set to FFF Harmony 8pt.

4. the first static text field reads "this field contains no links".

5. the second static text field reads "this field contains a LINK".

6. select the word "LINK" in the second static text field, and specify a link for it in the Properties Panel.

7. drag FFF Harmony from the main movie library into the submovie.swf's library.

8. save and publish the main movie and submovie.swf.

9. run the main movie.

you should only be able to see the words "this field contains no links". if you then go back into submovie.swf and change the second static text field to dynamic (make sure no fonts are embedded), save, publish and run main movie again, you should be able to see both text fields.

i also noticed another weird thing. if you go back into submovie.swf, and instead of changing the second static text field to a dynamic one you simply delete the link, you still won't be able to see the text. in other words, once you add a link to a static text field using FFF Harmony, that text field is no longer visible, even if you subsequently remove the link. the only way to make it visible is to switch the field to dynamic. very strange.

Hi, I did use exactly same font, but still nothing.

Here:
    This movie texttest2.swf loads texttest1.swf that has two text boxes:
    http://www.hot.ee/tonypa/flash/texttest/texttest2.html
    http://www.hot.ee/tonypa/flash/texttest/texttest1.html

Can you take the flas and change them in the way you created your work?
    http://www.hot.ee/tonypa/flash/texttest/texttest2.fla
    http://www.hot.ee/tonypa/flash/texttest/texttest1.fla

i'm getting some VERY strange results.... your movie works fine though. i'm now trying to see what's different between yours and mine. on the surface they look identical, but something must be different.

i'll post back later.

ok, i think i figured it out!!

when i added FFF Harmony to my main movie's library, i was selecting it from the drop-down list of fonts installed on my system, and then assigning the name "FFF Harmony" to it (you had left the default name of Font 1).

what i realized is that if you name an exported font by its actual exact name (e.g. using the name "Arial" for Arial, or "AvantGarde Medium" for AvantGarde Medium), the linked static text disappears. i tried doing with two other fonts and i was able to reproduce the same result.

so basically, if you name FFF Harmony "Font 1" or "FFF Harmony1" or "XXX Harmony", it'll work.... so long as the name you select is not identical to the actual font name.

try on your end... i believe you should see the same results, but let me know if you don't.

thanks.

ceglia i must remind you that many people do not have FFF harmony installed on thier PC. If you do not embed the charaters it will display times new roman to those who dont have fff harmony on the machines.

Also im having no problems with FFF harmony. Links are displaying fine when i try it with static & dynamic.
    A remedy is try not importing it into flash.

That makes sence
    It could mess up if you use name.

But...

I cant make it happen

Perhaps you are using Mac?
    I dont know Mac's so I guess they behave strange

hi tonypa,

i'm on a PC as well. that's strange. i was actually able to reproduce the error using your FLA's. did you change the name of the font in both the "linkage" settings AND the "properties" settings? also, make sure you change it in the library of texttest1 and texttest2.

actually, the best solution would be to delete the font from both libraries, and add it again, this time naming it "FFF Harmony".

let me know.

mxkidz,

thanks for the reminder, but i AM embedding FFF Harmony. i'm embedding it in my main movie by adding it to the library and checking "export for runtime sharing".

ok, I saw it finally happen, when I deleted all the font symbols and created new with name "FFF Harmony".

Hm, I dont know if it is bug or not. I would send bug report to MM if I were you, but I guess they wont do anything about it.

Best way to avoid it, seams to be just naming your font symbol differently. At least I hope you can now finish your work

thanks a lot for working through this with me.