A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Dual Platform CD w/video

Dual Platform CD w/video

I am creating a cd-rom, using MX to create an interface to show a video. It needs to be dual platform(pc/mac). No problems on the pc side with the .exe projector, however, with the mac side, I am getting library errors pertaining to the flash player installed on the machine(fixed with a Flash Player update). I would prefer not to make users upgrade. I have tried using swideo to turn video into .swf, but I am developing on pc so the external swf video isn't able to load on the mac. I once had a utility that converted a pc swf file into a mac readable swf. Does anyone know where/what it is called, or does anyone have a better solution than putting a Flash PLayer 6 intstall on the cd?

Thanks

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Use self-executing projectors. We have a tutorial on that.
    http://www.wildform.com/tutorials/fl...roms/index.php
    That way you don't have to worry about the viewer having a player installed.
    And you should use Flash 6 compatible video as it is much higher quality than the older Flash video and with a projector the player compatibility won't matter.

jb
    www.wildform.com

that is what I did, but for some reason, even with the self-executing player, there are library issues on the mac. Once the player is upgraded, it plays fine. So it is technically, not being self-contained movie.

Are you getting errors for the "CarbonLib" extension, or something similar? I've had this problem too, for Mac OS 8-9. I never found a solution.

I have tried using swideo to turn video into .swf, but I am developing on pc so the external swf video isn't able to load on the mac. I once had a utility that converted a pc swf file into a mac readable swf. Does anyone know where/what it is called, or does anyone have a better solution than putting a Flash PLayer 6 intstall on the cd?
    I used shared library's as instead of "normal" external files, and it worked great on both mac and pc. I did had a problem with os8-9, becuase it needs carbonLib (wich can be downloaded for www.apple.com).

A better solution than a flash-player install? A carbonLib install

I ended up using Director to do this with a Toast Hybrid CD. I made a OS9 and a OSX self contained for the MAC side. The autorun was 50/50 on OSX. For the more impaired OS9's, I allocated more RAM to the file before I burned it.

Can anyone explain what a carbonlib is and why a 'self-contained' movie created by Flash MX won't run on OS9 without updating them.

Thanks

The only answer I've ever gotten regarding this question is that it has to do with OS9's "graphic sub-system" and some conflict with the Flash player. I don't even know if that's accurate, that's just what I've been told. There's apparently no workaround except for installing the fix and rebooting the user's system. Bummer...

It's really just an issue of many OS 8 and OS 9 users not updating their cabonlib via the built in software update. Yes, it's a graphics capability issue. There's not much you can do about it, it's really up to the client.

The swtich to Director was probably a good move considering the problems you were having.