A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Need help! Big time!!

I'm in desperate need of help with implementing CGI into Flash! If I were to write a cgi script that contains variables that Flash can use, how would I write the variables ($variable = 1 perhaps?)?. Also, and most importantly, I need someone to help me get the Flashkit guestbook to work, please, ANY help would be HIGHLY appreciated. I have very minimal CGI experience so I'm sure anyone can give me some good advice. Thank you very much!

Have you tried the guestbook tutorial, I think there is one on here!
    If you break down the guestbook flash file, that should give you some sort of idea how to work with cgi etc...

If you get really stuck give me a shout!

yep, I've tried the guestbook tutorial. I'm very confident that I've done everything right, I hope its not my cgi server taht's not working. (i'm hosting on http://www.virtualave.net). I've also chmod everything correctly too. Please help!

Have you placed the .txt file in the same directory as the .swf?

What text file are you talking about, though? I have the cgi on a different server, and I got the flash.html and flash.swf on the webspace that my ISP gave me.

Are you sure you can run your cgi over the two servers?
    Have you made all the mods to the Flash file to point to the cgi directory?
    There is a text file that stores all the guestbook records, this should go into the same directory as the swf file.
    Have you modified the cgi script with the absolute root of your cgi server?
    And what version of the guestbook are you trying to run, is it like the one on this site or like the one on my new site?
    http://www.it-engineers.inuk.com/

Yes, I'm certain that virtualave hosts cgi scripts. Maybe I'm not setting up the cgi right? I just uploaded the cgi into my normal webspace (except i created a dir "cgi-bin") in ASCII mode, set the chmod and that should be it, right? I tried moving the swf with the txt file but it still didn't work.

The cgi-bin must be created by your service provider it is not a normal directory, maybe this is the problem!

Haha! Probably! Thanks a lot, Justin. I will contact you if I still can't get it to work (if you don't mind, that is).

No problem, anything to help a fellow flasher!