A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Knowledgeable hardware people. Fx5900ultra or 9800pro.

Knowledgeable hardware people. Fx5900ultra or 9800pro.

Knowledgeable hardware ppl. Fx5900ultra or 9800pro.

I have a quandary. And yes I know its an old clichéd topic, but I need to here from people on what is the best way to go graphics card wise. Nvidia or ATI? FX 5900 Ultra or 9800 Pro? Testimonials would be fantastic.

And I am looking at the 9800 Pro 256mb DDR-II version, not the 128mb DDR version. I’m told it’s a little bit more future proof.

I’ve been hearing bad things about nvidias current beast, but mostly praise for ati’s. Really im just looking for the most future proof(if there is such a thing )

Please try and not be a fanboy(or girl). Like thats going to happen though...

Cheeeeeeers
    the sig... its broken...

9800Pro. I have a 5600 Ultra, and honestly, I've seen the specs for the 5900's... and since they have a nice little flaw pertaining DirectX 9.0 compatibility and features that are upcoming in games like Doom3, Half-Life2, and Max Payne 2. And drivers will not fix this flaw.

If I had it all over to do again, I'd go ATi this generation. Better 2D and color clarity and it's fully DirectX 9.0 compatible without flaws.

There's been many articles about this at hardocp.com and anandtech.com.

Hope that helps.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

See now these flaws that you speak of with the fx5900ultra, nvidia claim that they are fixable with a driver... ARE THEY LYING TO US???

I have heard that the clarity of ATI cards are superior though, from many sources, so I may be inclined to believe that.

Currently ATI have the edge in my eyes.

Any clue as to the benefits of the DDR-II?
    the sig... its broken...

if you go ati...and you go 9800 pro...AND you go 256 mbs of ram...you might as well take the last step and go all out with ALL-IN-WONDER!!!

can't be arsed to do your own research, eh?

The problematic yields for Nvidia Corp.'s high-end graphics chips are expected to be resolved by the end of this month, with no supply constraints in the channels, according to a new report from Pacific Crest Securities Inc. today.

At the time, Michael McConnell, an analyst with Pacific Crest of Portland, lowered his estimates for Nvidia, due to lackluster sales with its nForce 2 chip-set line and manufacturing problems with its GeForce FX 5600 and FX 5900 line of graphics devices.
    The problem was hardware related.

Anyway, get the 9800 Pro. You don't know at this moment if you're getting good silicon or bad with the 5900.

Oh, and don't have some wimpy processor pushing that Nvidia. Then it's all a moot point.

DDR2 really shows its advantages in the relation to multiple textures and higher resolutions at higher colour depth. So running at 24-bit/32-bit at higher than 1280x1024 is where it shows off.

ATI outperforms in a VERY slight minority of the benchmarks against FX 5900 Ultra - although this is likely to change with the rise of dx9.

i have read in several reviews that ATI's color clarity is evidently poorer in 2D situations, for quite some time, but very slightly.

if your interested in reading some benchmark review's for these cards, pay more attention to real-world benchmarks (eg. UT2003, Commanche 4) instead of 3Dmark tests - most of the newest cards are designed to perform better in these simulated tests.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

ATi

thanks for the info on the nvidia hardware issue gerbick. Appart from that everybodys just confirmed what i already know. Which is a good thing. That means i haven't been getting dodgey info. Damn shame that nvida is behaving the way they are with the whole benchmark issue.

All in wonder 9800 Pro, only comes in the 128mb ddr variant, yes? no such 256-DDRII will be released? Confim, anybody?

ati 9800pro, the way to go? at the moment, it looks like it is...
    the sig... its broken...

onSit=function() {makeFlash}; basssmannn's Avatar
    ATI!

I'm running a All in Wonder ATI Radeon 128MB 9800Pro now. It's sweet, no problems.. runs like a dream.. the DDRII one is good for HIGH Resolutions.. over 1600x1200 otherwise theres no performance gain, or not much of one. So I wouldn't spend the extra on that, unless u have a really good monitor that allows for High Resolutions, and if have to have a CPU that can power this baby, I'm running it right now on a XP2400+ but that's just for 'testing', it's my friends who i'm building a PC for, P4 3.0 GHZ 800mhz fsb.
    Last edited by Hellsbellboy; 08-25-2003 at 11:39 AM.