A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: submit a form in .exe

submit a form in .exe

Hi all,

I am creating an .exe file for a CD rom (wedding invitation) with a reply form. However, I am looking for an example or a tutorial on how to submit that form to my email. I have created all the components and given names and allocated them to groups ... and now, what is the actionscript to forward the information to me by email.

Another question is: for the people w/o Internet access, how can I make a button (similar to the Submit) button, that opens the same form ("reply.pdf"), that they can print it and send by post?

Thanks for any indication you may have!

For emails take a look at this demo.

http://www.***********.com/?section=faq&cPath=14_21

To open or print a PDF file then take a look at JStart

Try a FREE evaluation copy.

http://jstart.***********.com

Demos can be found on

http://***********.com/?section=faq&cPath=28_41

Try that first.

Thanks, I like the pdf function and may use that.

However, isn't there a way of sending the content of a form to my email with a "simple" actionscript?

For offline work, no there is not. For online apps you can use scripting like PHP, ASP etc.

Or at least, not a method that is reliable. GetUrl with mailto works in EXE but has some limitations.

For IE, you can use the "mailto" command with parameters for subject and body text. For Netscape, the body text disappears.

Bizarre really, so much for standardisation.

I am looking at the *********** site and I am a bit confused, I must admit. I am sure it is working, but I don't feel like spending money (the wedding is expensive enough as it is ... I will keep experimenting, though.

AlsoGaiusCoffey, do you have any example of how to apply mailto: with the information in the body/subject text?

Mailto syntax is here (and a few other places):
    http://www.ianr.unl.edu/internet/mailto.html

In Flash:
    PHP Code:
    _btn.onRelease = function () {

replytext "Whatever text you want built up from the variables and textfields you have in Flash."

getURL("mailto:sales@gdcsoft.com?subject=Test&body="+replytext);    

However, RU sure about CD for wedding invites? Does your aged soon to be mother-in-law not have an Apple Mac, and in any case didn't Aunt Maud nearly disinherit you because she couldn't find the quit button on that website you did for her as a nixxer?

CDs don't look the Mae West on the mantlepieces of aging relatives who still like to show off such things.

But if it is your wedding and you are insistent on such things, I have a CD product (not ***********, but also very good) and would package the EXE with mail command for free if you have all the work done first.

Àctually, I just checked that link and he has put in a few syntax errors himself.

Where he has "?&body=" or similar, it should be "?body=" - the same as all URLs really, ? marks the start of the argument and each parameter is separated with &

Thanks for the thought reg CD. The Wedding is, indeed, mine and I intend to send it only to those that I know are + - literate

And, of course, everyone will also receive the classic invitation with the pink hearts and winded writing...

Your offer sounds like music in my ears and I happily accept! The reply form, I have made already. It is actually a movie I load into the main projector. I could post it on my Web Server for you to download... unless, of course, I misunderstood you. The main exe file is some 30MB (I know, well it is pretty packed, since the wedding will take place somewhere exotic and I tell people about the place... - how to get there, history, etc...)

Well, here is the link (in case) - right click to download:
    http://homepages.bamboo.lu/kyster/wedding.htm

what do you think?

To use the SWF Studio e-mail function requires that either the form itself is packaged as an EXE or that the movie that loads it in is packaged as an EXE.

So you won't be able to just launch the form inside unless we do a bit of reworking the structure. (Actually there are about a gazillion easy work-arounds to this).

If you click on the e-mail link for my profile, I will reply and then we can discuss it off list.

(Calamari risotto, nice).