A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Take your mouse to a site demo?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar

Take your mouse to a site demo?

You know, I was demo'ing a site yesterday (a horror story, all around, but that's for a different thread), and the touch mouse on my lappy was giving me all kinds of diddly problems, like not sitting correctly, jumping and jittering around - generally making the experience a misery.

I really think that the guy watching (who is not exactly the brightest star in the sky), thought that it was my design that was causing the trouble, not the mouse. With buttons being too small, fiddly, etc.

Does anyone actually take their mouse with then to a demo, or is that just to geeky for words?
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Well, most of my demos are online in a secure section where the client can view on their own computer. So if I ever go to a meeting, I am not dragged down with the requirement of a laptop, just a legalpad. But yea, I've never been a fan of touchpads on laptops.
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

Señor member
    my demos are online too so it's mostly a case of either sending or presenting an url to the client and they can use their machine to view it.

That said, to be honest if I took a laptop I'd definitely take an external mouse with me as I can't stand the touchpads on laptops.
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

The only ever times I've demo'd on-line, I've felt that the customer was allowed to answer too many of their own questions with little or no knowledge, inevitably arriving at the wrong conclusions, leaving me to later remedy concerns which, had I been there in person, would not have been allowed to grow out of all proportion.

So wherever possible, I never demo on-line.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards taking a regular mouse from now on. Just one more explanation I don't have to make, along the lines of...

'Of course, a user on a standard computer with a regular mouse wouldn't have these problems you now see me (the designer) facing'.

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    'Of course, a user on a standard computer with a regular mouse wouldn't have these problems you now see me (the designer) facing'.
    so the client then thinks that no user will have a mouse like yours? Even though you are showing them a user (you) that has problems with the design.

j

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    so the client then thinks that no user will have a mouse like yours?
    j
    Now you're just playing Devil's advocate.

Essentially, aren't all mouse's just the same, so how could the viewer think that a mouse of a certain kind could make the difference?

mice, I know.