dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Allot for bleed spacing.. or not?

Allot for bleed spacing.. or not?

Hey fellas, kinda in a pickle here and I dont know what I should do. You see I'm designing a catalog in PS for a client and I don't know wether or not to add in space for bleed. This isn't going to a print house, but more likely to a Kinkos, or even my clients personal printer.

I'm thinking I shouldn't have to allot for it.. and I'm designing it at 8.5 x 11.

Any help appreciated - tnx
    Mastering Flash is easy..
    Mastering the actionscript is what the hell is..

bleed and trap. both are still important if you're using press or true Postscript printing... not unless it's an extremely small run.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

it's always a good idea to have bleed if you plan on cutting it down to the correct size. A good amount would be 1/8th (0.125) in.

I'm involved in something like this too so I have a similar question. I'm trying to make a business card. Now the printer told me that I had to leave 1/8th inch space around the card for bleed. Then he said he needed an additional 1/8th inch "buffer space".

So, he said make a 3.75 inch by 2.25 inch card, leaving all graphics and text inside both areas. Yet he said they would only cut out the outer 1/8th edge, not the inner 1/8th. (said the extra 1/8th was used just in case the cut didn't go right.

Then he said you end up with a 3.5 by 2 inch card, which doesn't make sense to me! If they only cut off the outer bleed, then my card would still be bigger than 3.5 x 2. So now I don't know where to center my damn text because I don't know where the actual center is. This sounds so retarded but I can't figure it out for some reason.

Create your card as 3.5 x 2 to determine centering, etc.

Then pull out elements you wish to bleed to 1/8".

It sounds like the outer 1/8" is the minimum space required between other cards. That area should be blank.

If he wanted you to have artwork in the "outer 1/8" - he would have told you to make a 1/4" bleed.

You're not alone in your confusion. Every printer has their way of doing things.

You can also ask if he has a template file he can send you.
    So what becomes of you my love, when they have finally stripped you of the handbags and the gladrags that your granddad had to sweat so you could buy

neeners is correct! The advice for a template is wise if simply to clear up any misunderstanding about dimensions.

A 1/8" bleed is actually applied to the parameter of the document your having reproduced; thus adding a 1/4" to your height and width.
    In your case - 3.75" x 2.25. The reason for a bleed is to guarantee that there is full ink coverage.

When setting up a document that has no image for its background (white, or stock color) most printers will simply have you generate the file at your finished dimensions.