dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is this JOB Ad for real???

Is this JOB Ad for real???

Is it just me or is this job ad completely ridiculous.

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/art/15456629.html

I tell you, the perception that some company heads have of web designers is grossly skewed. So many hats for so little money.

Well, I found it funny anyway.

BTW: This is at least the second time they posted this ad in the last few months. So they either didn't find a good candidate or the last person quit.
    "Believe your beliefs and doubt your doubts."

- F.F. Bosworth

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    It is a bit silly, really.

I mean, how on earth are you supposed to built/maintain sites while you're booking plane tix and ordering food from the deli around the corner, answering the phones and making sure that there's some ink in the printer catridges.

Hey, that's not silly. I do that already.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Doesn't look too overwhelming to me. If they didn't want links to a portfolio, I'd apply. I haven't got any of my stuff put up yet. Busy working on other things... the startup/entrepreneurial bit does worry me tho.

This sounds a lot like my job. I started at graphic design firm as a proofer (I put together the book pages from printed film before it gets sent to be printed). Since this wasn't exactly filling all of my time, I was also a gofor type person. Every week I'd go grocery shopping for the office, I'd go get the food that we ordered for clients whenever they came in, I delivered letters/film/etc., and pretty much anything else that the designers were too good for, like making sure that the test copies for the books printed to the inkjet printers overnight.

Slowly, I showed them my skills as a web developer in html/flash. The first being when I solved about 5 different problems for a web site by casually walking in the room. Eventually I did small little flash or html things, never doing full projects, but then they got a machine to do the proofing and I got my own desk. I've shown them that I have the most skill at flash than any of the other web developers (there were only 2 of them) and it's my main job.

unfortunately, there isn't much flash work coming through our office and they still see me as the gofor, so I still get stuck staying until 2 AM making sure the 196 page book prints to the inkjet.

j

damn.....

this job sounds like a lot of grunt work involved...pretty much like the only jobs out there right now in our wonderful economy.

Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Personally I think it IS ridiculous. I also think that ad is an excellent indicator of the sad state of the job market right now. Employers want to pay peanuts for top level skills. I consider it an affront to all designers that these people want the same person who designs for them to also make coffee and order them food. Those are four distinctly separate jobs in my opinion and experience. Sure, the smaller the company the more hats you are usually required to wear, but companies such as this threaten to devalue all our services.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Señor member

Re: damn.....

Originally posted by J-Luv
    this job sounds like a lot of grunt work involved...pretty much like the only jobs out there right now in our wonderful economy.

there's a lot worse out there believe me!

Might need to change the **** for a famous F word
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Re: Re: damn.....

Originally posted by jamble7000

Might need to change the **** for a famous F word
    Fart?

[/]
    Last edited by eggler; 10-14-2009 at 02:06 AM.

$30,000/year.

whos complaining?

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by bvgroote
    $30,000/year.

whos complaining?
    In NYC, USA - 30K is not a whole bunch of cash, me thinks.

Now, you pay me $US30K in Brazil? You can come and visit me in my palace next time you're in town.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting