dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Project Collab- moderation issues

Project Collab- moderation issues

I see that the competition forum has been closed, you have your reasons yada yada yada and its probably for the best. My concern lies with the Project Collaboration forum. Its a lovely idea to have all the creatives geniuses (geniui?) working together on projects etc etc but I don't think the collab forum is doing this.

Most of the threads in there fall into one of these categories.

1-- I need a freelancer to do a job These are fine with me as there is no employment forum here anymore, as long as they offer a fair deal over payment etc "I" have no problem with these kind of threads but I believe FK policy doesn't like these.

2-- Lets change the world and make an innovative project, but I don't know what yet Yeah, its nice to dream about wonderful arty projects where we work as a community to create something beautiful. They never go anywhere though.

3-- My client wants this.... I'll pay you $3.50 and a can of coke to do it or even worse If you do this for free I can PROMISE to send more work your way Now these are just stupid, as if its not bad enough already that people are constantly outbidding each other to do projects for less and less until they end up doing it for free.

Would it be possible to have the project collab forum changed so new threads can only be posted after they have been checked that they meet the guidelines?

I know I'll sound like a grumpy git but I don't think the project collab forum is helping anyne right now, it makes FK and all her users look totally unprofessional.

Sincerely blah blah blah

de fuzzy one

Señor member
    Agree totally, sorry I've not been in there as much as I probably should have recently.

I'm going to take a hardline on threads which don't meet the well defined criteria from now on
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

I don't believe this warrants being on the moderation queue though. If users have any specific queries about certain threads, the 'report post to moderator button' is always there and is anonymous to everyone apart from mods.
    Living the dream

the problem with the forum is that there are hardly any decent project managers on this forum, no-one has what it takes to take the reigns and lead from the front. people are looking for an easy way out.

unless people are willing to pay or they can choose a subject which will attract a more mature audience, I can't see any of the projects going anywhere.
    Living the dream

I started discussing this issue before...take a look:
    http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=459751

I'm probably going to sound abit snooty(snewty for all those that can't pronounce), but here goes:
    First, I believe the Project Collab forum should be moderated similar to the way Sitepoint is done with their "Site Check" forum. Sitepoint moderates all new threads, and approves/rejects them. This could sort out alot of the freelance problems.

Second, many people are posting their websites as "projects"....ive gone through alot of the threads, and quite a few of them are for stuff such as "Gaming Communites" or "Band Sites". Now, I don't want to be rude, but these projects are more Freelance than collab.

col·lab·o·rate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (k-lb-rt)
    intr.v. col·lab·o·rat·ed, col·lab·o·rat·ing, col·lab·o·rates
    To work together, especially in a joint intellectual effort.

I think the above definition should be the rule in the forum...if your requesting stuff, it should be for a project that you are actively involved in. For example, on my site, I'm asking for some contributions such as PHP scripts, but i'm also working on the project in my spare time. I'm not free loading off of other people, regardless of what I offer in exchange.

More on this issue to come from me later,
    YH

I'm starting to see more and more posts asking for site designs, animators, etx with nothing in return. It's really starting to bug me, and I know a few others are also starting to get annoyed.

I'm not going to beg(like a few others say I do with everything in life)but I wish I could be a mod in there to clean it up

I say this with absolutely no knowledge of the current load [work load that is*] of moderators, but i think its a wonderful idea to have all new threads moderated before they can be displayed in said forum.

The current state of things also, i'm sure, puts potential *real* projects off from posting there, as it will simply be a waste of their time to have a group of 14 year olds (no offense to 14 year olds ) asking them how much they'll be paid, or vice versa.

Its an excellent idea and as with everything, people try and take advantage. But alas, for a moderator to go through every post and ensure it conforms to standards would certainly take time, time well spent i must say, but as always tempus fugit.

I could throw ideas at you forever for content conformity, requirements and such, and will be happy to do so, but i don't want to take up your time if its something you feel your hands are considerably tied on.

p.s. www.sourceforge.net is a lovely idea as far as such collaborative efforts go. But as i said (and yes i probably did already contradict myself ) i won't preach to you my ideas, suggestions or thoughts unless explicitly asked to.

Well done regardless, I think its a great idea.

* - edit
    [Will work for animal grade peanuts]

Originally posted by RazoRmedia
    I don't believe this warrants being on the moderation queue though. If users have any specific queries about certain threads, the 'report post to moderator button' is always there and is anonymous to everyone apart from mods.
    Indeed, just because you think of a project idea, doesn't mean you're going to be the best person for position of project manager...
    [Will work for animal grade peanuts]

Originally posted by confusimo
    I say this with absolutely no knowledge of the current load [work load that is*] of moderators, but i think its a wonderful idea to have all new threads moderated before they can be displayed in said forum.

The current state of things also, i'm sure, puts potential *real* projects off from posting there, as it will simply be a waste of their time to have a group of 14 year olds (no offense to 14 year olds ) asking them how much they'll be paid, or vice versa.

Its an excellent idea and as with everything, people try and take advantage. But alas, for a moderator to go through every post and ensure it conforms to standards would certainly take time, time well spent i must say, but as always tempus fugit.

I could throw ideas at you forever for content conformity, requirements and such, and will be happy to do so, but i don't want to take up your time if its something you feel your hands are considerably tied on.

p.s. www.sourceforge.net is a lovely idea as far as such collaborative efforts go. But as i said (and yes i probably did already contradict myself ) i won't preach to you my ideas, suggestions or thoughts unless explicitly asked to.

Well done regardless, I think its a great idea.

* - edit
    Yeah, I think this collab forum needs to take the shape of Souceforge, except for websites. Sourceforge hand picks through submissions to find qualified projects. I think Flashkit should do the same. If needed, more moderators should be added to keep up with the queue.

the project collaboration forum doesn't need any new moderators and I am willing to take new moderators on for this sole reason.

we have tried the moderation queue for another forum and it just isn't practical.

the report to post feature is there for anyone not happy with a post but lets not forget what this forum is. its a forum for people to get together and work on projects. If somebody posts saying they need someone to do XML, actionscript and PHP for them, that is fine, people don't have to reply and they don't have to offer anything back.

Regards

Bruce
    Living the dream