dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help?

Starving Artist

Help?

Not 100% sure that this is the right forum, but it just seemed to fit...

What I really want for my site's second incarnation is something like what SitePal are offering - i.e. a psuedo-3D animated character whose head and eyes turn to look at the mouse... I lost the URL but there's an ad on the main FlashKit tutes page...

Is there a way to do this in Flash MX? The actionscript'd be pretty complex, I realise, but does anyone have an idea of where I should start? I'd just buy SitePal, but I need a very specific charcter, and I dunno if the programme'd let me make it in my own art style.

Help...?

Something like on my online portfolio under the WIP section?

Starving Artist
    Sort of... but more like THIS really.... any ideas?

Well, are you gonna be drawing the character in flash or are you gonna use pre-rendered 3d animation?

I messed around a little with this as you can see but didn't need to go to in-depth as what I did served it's purpose

To get what you want using 3D would be purely experimentation for me

Starving Artist
    I'd be using a vector art character drawn in Flash (or touched up in Photoshop/Illustrator and THEN imported into Flash)... 3D rendering'd be a bit to complex for me. I don't have the software.

hi there, [TFS]DrNick, do you mind bringing down your footer to the allowed sizes:
    • 300 pixels wide
      40 pixels tall
      under 15k filesize

thanks in advance.

you could, via good usage of gradients, make a 2D character seem like he's 3D, eyes and heads are real easy to fake that way. If you have illustrator or coreldraw, heck... flash will do, it has gradients, you could use gradients to make the character seem more than a 2D character then with just simple flat fills.

otherwise, using 3D characters created in 3ds max, plasma, poser, or else would be ideal...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Starving Artist
    Lol... I guess I just can't win with my sigs... I'll turn them off.

It's not the drawing of the character I'm having probs with... it's the scripting used to make them follow the mouse whilst making the head turn in proportion, if you see what I mean...

SitePal Animated Characters

The SitePal character tool will allow you a lot of freedom to create a character. If you would like to create a custom character with our design team that is also possible. The VHost Studio application is the "big brother" application to the SitePal and it will allow you to embed the characters in flash. Please email me if you would like more information.
    -Carrie
    carrie@oddcast.com
    Carrie Berman
    SitePal.com
    Marketing
    carrie@oddcast.com