A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Resizing JPEGS?!?! in flash??

Resizing JPEGS?!?! in flash??

Hi,

I am trying to get flash to handle the scaling of jpegs, within proportion. I have worked the jpeg up to a larger size, so it would scale down ok, but it doesn't seem to scale it smoothly.

Here's the dilemma:

Scaling it proportionally here:
    http://www.visivdesign.com/test/

Please let me know if you have an idea what I can do. You will see the problem when you scale that window down. Thanks!!

-Alexs

scaling bitmaps is never ideal but maybe you should post a screenshot of what you're seeing, when I scale it down it looks ok, looks better scaled down than scaled up.

sample screen shot

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Here is how I am seeing it. I've attached a screenshot of an approximate 800 by 600 screen. The vectors (type) looks fine, but the images, especially around the edge of the woman, are too jaggy. Is this what you are seeing?
    Attached Images Attached Images

yeah that's pretty much what I'm seeing too, but it's par for the course from what I've seen. Vectors are scalable, bitmaps aren't, I don't know if there's anything you can ever do about that kind of jagged edge.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So really the only time it is useful to bring a higher res jpeg is to scale it before you publish it to the flash player. Whether you have done it at a higher res, scaling down or up will distort it, huh? Thanks for the replies.

basically its best to put in the bitmap at the size you are goin to use it so edit it in a photoeditor eg photoshop then save it as a new image import the new image in and use this will also decrease your file size on export.