A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Bar, anyone...

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar

Google Bar, anyone...

I just installed the lil' A_hole and it doesn't really understand it's role in life

it's acting like a pop-up magnet or something, now is there some sort of option to set or something.....

ask yourself: Do I really need this toolbar that takes up extra space at the top of my browser and is basically a piece of spy-ware?

... Answer: No!

Just uninstall it again - you _can_ live without it!

- n.

I never used version 1, but I installed version 2 when it was released and I love it! The pop-up blocker is great, the BlogThis! feature is cool, I know use it for things like spell check and of course to make Google searches.

Turn on the pop-up blocker and make sure it is not turned off (you can tell by clicking on it).

what he said ^^
    "They're very much like scruffy pigs to look at, and they've got big, knobbly warts and lumps all over their long, hairy faces. They are very, very ugly indeed..."

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    if you unsure of any adware install this little gem:

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by 1stbite
    if you unsure of any adware install this little gem:

http://download.com.com/3000-2144-10...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    You know, this is the second time in two threads that you've been talking up this app, so either you work for 'em, or you actually think it's good stuff.

As you probably don't work for 'em, I'm gonna check it out.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    cant help it if the post fall that way to get the same answer twice, LMAO

By the way, only ever delete the red problems that are ticked, if unticked they will effect the program you installed with the spy ware if deleted. so you have to decide whether the program is worth the spyware thats attached...
    Last edited by 1stbite; 09-02-2003 at 03:20 PM.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

Yeah, I tried it out and I got some cookies and some of the hotfixes that have been installed as Windows updates to block use of rogue html in IE (DSO Exploits).

So I'm pretty much clean (I hope), but that is a nice app, 1stbite.

I wonder if it's listed in the Best of the Freeware thread?

And now I have one of them there scrubbers too, just in case I get recalled to Moscow and I need to permanently delete my files to avoid prying FBI/Patriot Act eyes

LOL.

The google toolbar is in no way spyware...

undoubtably the most visited (willfully) site on the net and has it sold out? No... could it easily? Yes... no ads, nothing...

It makes you completely aware of the spyware features on install and they are all features that improve google, no one else...

It even lets you choose not to install them!

Don't be so ignorant!
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

*hugs her google toolbar* I love this little gem!
    <:8O)~~~ RATS! they ate my footer! ~~(O8:>

I <3 IT!!!

It's like really cool, but I've never
    gotten around to using it much. Just
    wondering what you guys use it for.
    Just normal searching? Or is there some
    hidden secret.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by robbmcaulay
    The google toolbar is in no way spyware...

undoubtably the most visited (willfully) site on the net and has it sold out? No... could it easily? Yes... no ads, nothing...

It makes you completely aware of the spyware features on install and they are all features that improve google, no one else...

It even lets you choose not to install them!

Don't be so ignorant!
    Sure, but WTH ever reads the privacy policy???

Most of the spyware features are turned off if you choose not to use the advanced features (pop up blocker, for instance) ...

Take it for what it's worth, but it's an interesting read nonetheless ...
    http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html
    "My father likes to delete things from the Windows System directory because he's convinced that's where the swap file lurks. I have to reinstall Windows 95 almost every day." from Computer Stupidities
    Nobody's perfect ... I am nobody ... therefore ...
    Did you hear about the pirate movie that's in theaters now? It's rated "Aaaarrrrr!"...
    All your base are belong to them?
    Vision in Video

hey lannie

I have the new toolbar. So far, 1,326 popups blocked!
    I figure it takes me 1 second to close a popup, therefore I have saved over 22 minutes of time!

It's Lannie, my favourite Texan - she's back!

You've been lurking, eh? - reading all our silly posts until you could hold back no more and had to say something.

*blinks*

Did I just see Lannie!?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by Visionray
    I have the new toolbar. So far, 1,326 popups blocked!
    I figure it takes me 1 second to close a popup, therefore I have saved over 22 minutes of time!
    How do I check that?

h
    On That Note Forums - 1200 members and counting...
    "...our focus remains on the music."

Originally posted by enemem
    ask yourself: Do I really need this toolbar that takes up extra space at the top of my browser and is basically a piece of spy-ware?

... Answer: No!

Just uninstall it again - you _can_ live without it!

- n.
    by spywareinfo.com
    From time to time, someone asks why the Google search bar is not targeted as spyware. It works similarly to other toolbars which are targeted as spyware (Comet Cursor, Search-Explorer, Alexa, etc) by Ad-aware, Spybot, Aluria, and other spyware removal tools. Jamie Rosen, founder of Cometsystems (Comet Cursor) had this to say about it while trying to make the case that Comet Cursor should no longer be targeted by Ad-aware:

Google has a feature in its toolbar called page rank that ranks pages as you visit them. Not surprisingly, it requires the software to send every url you visit to google. That sounds alarming. But so long as you can turn it off and so long as the company makes it clear that it's not saving this information to profile you, it isn't necessarily an insidious thing. Some users want these so-called connected services -- they can be quite cool and useful.

Let me explain what is different about the Google toolbar that keeps it from being targeted as spyware like many other third party toolbars. Google uses its page rank system to make its search engine more useful, as opposed to using it to gather information about you to sell you tailored advertisements. You are not a source of income to Google.com, except as a site visitor looking at the same ads everyone else sees, toolbar or no toolbar.

Google goes to great lengths to explain that, in their own words, there may be privacy issues with some of the features, and provides an alternate download where those features are disabled. You have to go out of your way to find and activate those features. Contrast this behavior to some other toolbar makers who use activex to spread like trojans, gather statistical data on the user to present them with "more relevent special offers", forcibly reset browser settings, and make it damned hard to remove.

Google does make money on it in a roundabout way, because these features make their search engine more accurate and useful, which makes more people likely to use it and click the ads they sell on the site. The ads, by the way, are determined by the keywords you search for, NOT where you've been surfing, unlike many of the other toolbars. You'd see the same ads with or without the toolbar installed.

So, is the Google toolbar spyware? No, it is not.

Between the google toolbar and my free trial of norton internet security that I got when I bought my router, I havent had a popup in a while now. Norton internet security even removes some of the ad banners from websites. Me like.
    scdfred

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Originally posted by LanSite
    Sure, but WTH ever reads the privacy policy???

Most of the spyware features are turned off if you choose not to use the advanced features (pop up blocker, for instance) ...

Take it for what it's worth, but it's an interesting read nonetheless ...
    http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html
    Lannie, was just wondering WTH did that girl go

Nice to see you're well

thanks for the info btw

Now I have Norton Internet Security, and Ad-aware and the googler thing, but still the pop-ups are increasing since the Googler was installed

dunno what to do, will uninstall it this weekend and give it a try

thanks everyone