A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We are all going to die in 11 years.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar

TORINO SCALE = CONFUSING??

Okay the torino scal seems to make sense all the way up to number 8
    On page:
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/960340.asp?cp1=1

#0-6 = grow in intensity
    #7 = EXTREME THREAT of CATASTROPHIC GLOBAL DESTRUCTION!
    #8 = small bit of local damage

I know, I know, #7 is an extreme threat (threat only), whereas 8 is a definite certainty of a small hit. But if a 3 is a one percent chance of a hit, a 7 is probably at least a 75% chance.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be more worried about a 75% chance that the world will be completly annihilated tommorow, then say, losing a square kilometer of land somewhere, or having an asteroid hit the ocean causing some big waves at local beaches.

I do believe that "some small waves at the local beach" should be changed to "GIAGANTIC TITAL WAVES THAT WILL COVER AUSTRALIA, MARYLAND, NEWJERSEY, CALIFORNIA, HALF OF WESTERN EUROPE, AND MANY SMALL ISLANDS!!!"

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by aversion

It's like a color wheel of global destruction.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

A big happy color wheel of global destruction.

"10 Steps to better global destruction"

"Global Destruction for Dummies"

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

http://www.flipshark.com flipshark's Avatar
    Originally posted by ViRGo_RK
    I do believe that "some small waves at the local beach" should be changed to "GIAGANTIC TITAL WAVES THAT WILL COVER AUSTRALIA, MARYLAND, NEWJERSEY, CALIFORNIA, HALF OF WESTERN EUROPE, AND MANY SMALL ISLANDS!!!"
    Actually number 8 is exactly the same as number 3, only instead of being a 1% chance it is a 100% certainty. Were probably talking an asteroid the size of a small building causing minor damage to a city.

If it hit the water, no more damage would occur then the tital wave in the Halifax Explosion.

History lesson: The Halifax Explosion (occuring in Halifax NS, Canada, during WWI) was the second largest recorded explosion after the atomic bombs. Killing 2000 people and injuring close to 5000 others, the explosion was caused when two ships, one passenger (possibly carrying gun powder and munitions like many passenger ships during wwI did) and one munitions, collided and exploded in the Halifax Harbor in 1917.

History lesson: The Halifax Explosion (occuring in Halifax NS, Canada, during WWI) was the second largest recorded explosion after the atomic bombs. Killing 2000 people and injuring close to 5000 others, the explosion was caused when two ships, one passenger (possibly carrying gun powder and munitions like many passenger ships during wwI did) and one munitions, collided and exploded in the Halifax Harbor in 1917.
    And that's the same as small waves at the local beach, is it?

on the torino scale.
    did he direct pulp fiction?

Originally posted by asun2art
    With all that is going on in the Middle east right now, asteriods are the least of our problems.
    that's a regional issue, not a global one like a possible asteroid collision.

besides, we're all gonna crash and burn when the Mayan's predicted, December 22nd 2012...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by Markp.com
    did he direct pulp fiction?
    I wasn't so sure before, but now I'm certain that you let the boxing kitten in your avatar make all the important decisions.

We all die anyway, so lets all go party!

Originally posted by gerbick

besides, we're all gonna crash and burn when the Mayan's predicted, December 22nd 2012...
    why is it that all them acient civilisations had the power to forsee the future, but they couldn't make a more obvious sign other than an ambigious number of steps on a truncated pentahedron

Originally posted by gerbick

Eeek, you meen I am not going to live to see the asteroid strike earth?

*Runs and parties*

Crap, but the year 2013 is important for the Demo's because it will be the third year in a row when I good liberal Demo will hold the presidancy.
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    why is it that all them acient civilisations had the power to forsee the future, but they couldn't make a more obvious sign other than an ambigious number of steps on a truncated pentahedron
    mathematics are easily more understood regardless of language.

and besides, those steps on that truncated pentahedron are immensely important. you should be ashamed for overlooking that in the first place. next up will be that you've told me that you overlooked the obvious pi ratio of the base to apex of the pyramids and/or madonna's old bras.

long live the viracocha.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

banned by dp
    to quote Han Solo "I have a bad feeling about this chewie"
    Not really I think to get all worked up about this is stupid.

In a cavern, in a canyon,
    Excavating for a mine,
    Dwelt a miner, forty-niner
    And his daughter Clementine.
    Oh my darling, Clementine

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    but the question remains why it is called the Torino scale, not the Tottenham scale, the Torquay scale, or even the Triblisi scale.

It's gotta be something do to with the uni there.

[goes off to Google it]
    From NASA press release:
    "
    The Torino Scale
    MIT Press Release
    MIT News Office Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Room 5-111
    77 Massachusetts Avenue
    Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
    Phone: 617-253-2700
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/www

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MIT researcher creates scale to assess Earth-asteroid close encounters
    FOR RELEASE JULY 22, 1999
    Phone: 617-258-9276
    Email: dhalber@mit.edu
    http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/www

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. -- A Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor has come up with a scale that assigns a number to the likelihood that an asteroid will collide with the Earth. Zero or one means virtually no chance of impact or damage; 10 means certain catastrophe.

Richard P. Binzel, professor of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at MIT, created the scale to help scientists, the media and the public assess the potential danger of asteroids. He hopes that it will assuage concerns about a potential doomsday collision with the Earth.

Binzel's risk-assessment system is similar to the Richter scale used for earthquakes. It is named the Torino Impact Hazard Scale for the Italian city in which it was adopted at a workshop of the International Astronomical Union (IAU) in June. "
    "My father likes to delete things from the Windows System directory because he's convinced that's where the swap file lurks. I have to reinstall Windows 95 almost every day." from Computer Stupidities
    Nobody's perfect ... I am nobody ... therefore ...
    Did you hear about the pirate movie that's in theaters now? It's rated "Aaaarrrrr!"...
    All your base are belong to them?
    Vision in Video

We live in the middle of a damn asteroid belt! What do you expect?

We should move the planet to a better neighborhood.

Here's how you solve the problem in the Middle East:

Drop leaflets all over the place that say "We live in a damn asteroid belt! Knock it off."

We're the most advanced creatures that ever took up habitation on this rock, and if in a couple decades we can't devise a way to protect ourselves from an intergalactic game of marbles, we deserve to be taken out.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Tom Ridge eat your heart out!
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Thanks for that, Lannie - sad as I am, I woke up today thinking about why the Torino scale was so named.

PAlexC, I'd say Tom Ridge is '1 - Impact extremely unlikely, merits monitoring' green with envy.

no mark, this is the man who made your girly italian shoes

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    It's like a color wheel of global destruction.
    lol