A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AMD 64 coming out

AMD 64 coming out

I just say a flyer about the AMD 64 bit processer coming out on the 23ard of Sept. Who is going to buy it right away, and who will wait. They say its 100% backwards compatable with all software and hardware. I know Mac has the intel chip the G4 or something like that. Its probley going to be 3x as espensive though.

I will wait about 6 months and then buy it.

PCRIDE
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Mac has the Power Mac G5 which is 64bit, but no 64bit OS as of yet.. I'm going to wait till the spring for the Athlon 64, by then they should have a 64bit version of WinXP Pro for it, cause as of yet it's not out..

ditto hellsbellboy.

I'd rather get Win2k3 Server instead w/ 64-bit treatment.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    ditto hellsbellboy.

I'd rather get Win2k3 Server instead w/ 64-bit treatment.

have you tried Win2k3, i remember you saying u had some problem with it or other..

one thing that gets me.. is it's taking MS long enough to come out with the 64 bit version for Athlon 64, but also that Longhorn is only 32bit, and as yet they aren't working on a 64bit version.

Originally posted by Hellsbellboy
    have you tried Win2k3, i remember you saying u had some problem with it or other..

one thing that gets me.. is it's taking MS long enough to come out with the 64 bit version for Athlon 64, but also that Longhorn is only 32bit, and as yet they aren't working on a 64bit version.
    yeah, using Win2k3 Server at home right now. After finding out what was causing issues - wrong version of the chipset drivers for my motherboard - it's been rather stable. For some reason, it does not identify VIA chipsets correctly.

MS is taking a while because they are being lazy with the ISA. They had to overhaul Win2k managed memory, and honestly, in Advanced Server sucks at memory management with only 32-bit registers. 64-bit registers would kill them.

personally, I like the fact they are taking the time to get it right. Hopefully.

ok. I'm not hopeful. but the ISA for AMD64 is radically different than the Itaniums. And Intel "paid" for priority.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]