A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FREEHAND MX!! simple

Big boy member

FREEHAND MX!! simple

K,

So this might not be the right place to ask freehand questions, but none the less I am stumped on something quite simeple that I am hoping someone can help me with.

I just bought freehand MX and I need to know how to make a picture frame? What I mean is basically lets say I have a blue rectangle drawn. Inside I want to add another smaller rectangle which is transparent. Problem is, I dont want to see the blue of the other rectangle, I want to more like cut out a rectangle within so you will see "through" the inner box. Seem ssimple enough but Il be damned if I can figure it out.

Anyone?

did you try four rectangles for the borders?

Big boy member
    i guess i should have mentioned that the inner and outer rectangles have beveled edges, so I dont think that would work

well since the simple answer won't work for you, I'll tell you how the real designers do it. First, create the frame (which you have). The frame will not have any tranlucent/transparent portions as it is not needed.

next, grab the image that will be the picture and center it within the frame (it's all right if it's too big). Now cut the picture (apple-x/cntl-x/edit->cut).

Now create a rectangle the exact size that the image should be over the frame. Select the rectangle then do a paste inside (under the edit menu) and you should be good

Big boy member
    appreciate the help pro, but your not gettin me where I need to be. Think Rings if you will. I need to create that sort of effect, like a hula hoop. I need a stroke to outline the hoop or frame itself, then a fill inside, but need to be able to see through it. I would nee dto be able to take the ring and put it over another image and see through it. Like I said, more like a hula hoop, but nothing made form pure stroke.

never used freehand but in illustrator you could use a mask or a compound shape to achieve that effect - you just draw your solid-fill shape, then mask/remove via compound shape the centre area.

- n.