A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Do’s and Don’ts with respect to project work flow?

Do’s and Don’ts with respect to project work flow?

Note: This is not intended to be a discussion about which manufacture produces the best app in a given area. It is simply intended to be a exchange of information about the do’s and don’ts with respect to project work flow.

Just curious about how others work. When to use what application. When not to use specific apps.
    The information below is not complete by any means; it is simply a starting point. Please ad your opinions/contradictions/experiences to this list.
    • Lets just take as a given that Pshop is the image editor app used in most instances by designers.

Photoshop strengths: Limitless possibilities with respect to image editing
      Weaknesses: text reproduction for print

for vector based illustration - Illustrator or Freehand

Vector Based Editing App. strengths: Great for logo design, text reproduction for print.
      Weaknesses: In my experience with printers gradients applied over large areas by Illustrator can sometimes
      reproduce inconsistently.

Other apps which might be used:
      for print layout - Quark or InDesign
      web authoring – Dreamweaver, GoLive, Flash

Print Project example: Postcard mailer – Most, if not all the image editing would be done in Pshop. That file would then be imported into Illustrator to apply the text layers as well as any logo information then formated as (per printers requirments).
    Last edited by hothousegraphix; 09-04-2003 at 11:39 AM.

"Print Project example: Postcard mailer – Most, if not all the image editing would be done in Pshop. That file would then be imported into Illustrator to apply the text layers as well as any logo information then formated as (per printers requirments)."

I just finished a direct mailer design so I'll let you know my work flow. I start in Quark by setting up the layout of the mailer/ bleeds/postal indicia/address area. I start my designing in Illustrator by making a box out of guides the dimention of the mailer. I open photoshop and do all the image work and save the images. I close photoshop and pull all photoshop images into illustrator. In Illustrator I try to ad color and headline type, when I'm finished I delete photoshop images out of Illustrator and save file. I open Quark and Pull Photoshop images and Illustator file into layout, Now everything is seperate so future changes will be quick. I do the rest of the type setting in Quark and thats it.

Wow...I was beginning to think that I wasn't gonna get a response to this.

Thanks.

Your process sounds fairly straight forward. How has your experience with printers been?