A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Good/Bad UI

Good/Bad UI

So, in my User Interface class we need to find either a very good or very bad example of a user interface. Anyone know of one?

Mac OS/Windows 9x/NT based systems/Linux. Small buttons open bigger menus, menus hide when not being used. It's the simple things in life people!

Visio = Satan.

I'm trying to do a diagram of a Cold Fusion application and it's damn near impossible, you can't even duplicate the frigging ASP icon and change it to CFM or CFC, and I can't make stencils that let you just type in names, that's IF you don't mess it up by hitting the wrong keystroke.

I'm using Flash to make my flowcharts from now on. Useless piece of crap. DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE!!!!!

*pant pant pant* sorry, ok. i'm done.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

AUTHORWARE - a foul slag of a design... Haven't played with it myself but DreamweaverMX2004 looks cool and has lots of little tweeks

Originally posted by PAlexC
    Visio = Satan.
    I'll have to agree with on this one. Especially if you just need to move a dialog that has arrows pointing to different places.

I also remember having difficulty trying to make the line on the arrow go straight and not try to angle around.

I was looking for smaller things like web sites with bad interfaces, it doesn't even need to be computer related, I've found many examples of doors that are a pain.

visio = satan... funniest thing I've seen all day. also, the truest...

Good UI design? I'd have to say the old Metacreations stuff that Kai Krause pioneered UI-wise would be high on my list of useable, good UI. But it polarized the users... either you hated it, or loved it. Canoma was a good example of that.

Cooperating System's HelloWorld is another good UI design.

Flash is a convoluted, yet useful UI. I personally don't like the workflow one bit though. Photoshop is great UI... it just makes sense to me. Deceptively simple.

Bad... well you've stated Visio already. Premiere and Director are bad ones to me. Very bad IMHO.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

great UI design: iMovie

terrible UI design: BitHedz Phraser music loop software i dropped 300 bucks on and have used exactly 4 times.

more decent UI design: Safari browser