dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: invisible div layer.. a possible search solution?

invisible div layer.. a possible search solution?

a few posts ago, gSOLO made a reply to a post about putting your logo on a cliet site. He stated that he creates an invisible div layer on top of the page with his info, created-by, etc....
    Would putting an invisible div layer over your page containing a Flash movie be a viable to solution to the whole Flash vs Search Engine problem?

thanks,
    -myk

tell me, is this sellable..... OddDog's Avatar
    no

invisible layers, text ect.. is penalised by the SE

Developer
    The Bluegrass State Will Flash For Food ™
    Is there a list of things that penalize your placement? I didn't notice any changes or anything, although I did take it out of the site that I had it, because I no longer wanted to be associated with it (too many cosmetic changes made by the client). It did seem to be working well though... How well does google detect the visibility of a layer? Like, what if I change the visibility in the onload event of the body of the page?

any other thoughs on this topic? this could prove to be an intersting avenue to check out....

-myk

bump.. just trying to resurrect this in case someone knows a definte answer as to wither the div layers are crawled by search engines, and if they are penalized also...

-myk

Señor member
    Here are a couple of articles I found on google, they might be interest, they might not

"Are You Sabotaging Your Site's Visibility in Search Engines?"
    A recent study of New Zealand's Top 100 Companies by us here at Web Rank Ltd has revealed that every single one of New Zealand's leading companies have web sites that sabotage their ability to be found by Internet users.
    more...
    "fooling the search engines - not recommended"
    The major search engines claim to be able to spot the more obvious tricks used to increase the frequency of appearance and the rankings of documents in search results. These include:
    "Search Engine Book"
    "If you're beginning to get the impression that search engine optimisation is a little more complex than you imagined... Grehan's book is a good
    place to start."
    Search Engine Book
    There are lots of additional links on this page

"Avoid Spamming the Search Engines "
    Before getting started on using gateway pages and other HTML techniques to improve your search engine ranking, you need to know a little about spam and spamdexing. Spamming the search engines (or spamdexing) is the practice of using unethical or unprofessional techniques to try to improve search engine rankings.
    April 2, 1999 more....

//

Hopefully there's a little something to get you started, they're just a few of the first page results on my Google search for "Penalized in Search Engines"
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

Here is some very useful information for Google. Honestly, I would not put my logo on a client's site, but rather put a text link at the bottom of the page "site design by yoursite.com" This way search engines will be able to read and follow your link. If you put a logo in a GIF/JPEG format and just have it link to your site most spiders will not be able to follow it. Hope this helps!

http://www.google.com/webmasters/guidelines.html