dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Massively Multiplayer Online Games -- why charge money to buy the game?

hmmm...

Massively Multiplayer Online Games -- why charge money to buy the game?

Tell me your thoughts on this, any of you who play internet games or want to play internet games that have a monthly fee, such as PlanetSide, Star Wars Galaxies, etc: I think that the companies who make the games, such as SOE, should give away the games for free, either as a download or even in box at stores (maybe just charge for material costs), equip them with a 7-day trial to allow people to play it and get hooked, and then charge a monthly fee for server costs, etc. This would encourage a lot more people to get the game since it's free and would get them hooked when they played it so that they'd be more willing to pay a fee when their trial was up b/c they have already tried it and it's installed on their computer. It seems like a much better marketing strategy to me.

I concur.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

the game costs money to develop; thus the boxed game sticker price.

the servers cost money to connect, admin, and maintain; thus the "usage fees".

I see no problems with that way of thinking.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

down with mmorpgs, I won't touch them if my life depended on it.

hmmm...
    In reply to gerbick, I agree that they need to have usage fees to pay for servers, admins, tech support, etc, but I'm thinking that they should instead of making people buy the game, charge an extra dollar or so per month to cover the cost of the development and creation of the game. I'm not arguing that MMORPGs should be cheaper (people would pay the same amt in the long run), I just think that it would be a more effective marketing strategy for the game companies.

the most effective method of distribution is still retail and obviously there are associated costs involved in producing, distributing and selling a game through shops, along with minimum returns demanded by the retailers, who wouldn't let you give it away for free download on your site.

that's a gamble they can't take if they don't have good sell-through numbers on a game. if they set up just one server, and sell through the game quicker than expected, then they can add servers quickly. However, if they don't sell through, how will they recoup their dev fees?

Answer: they won't.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

it looks like mmorpg gaming will be the future of gaming, since every account will require a purchased cd, its no use of illegally copying the cd. It's financially safer, its just that at the moment most mmorpg's arn't what they should be, there are still lots of flaws (starwars galaxies anyone?) but hopefully World Of Warcraft will set new standards to the mmmorpg buisness
    lalalalalalala

If they gave it away, then everyone and there step-fathers brother-in-laws hairdresser's late grandmother's dog will be downloading and registering. Now, not everyone will keep playing, and the game will be littered with unused players.
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

hmmm...
    Originally posted by onlinegs.com
    If they gave it away, then everyone and there step-fathers brother-in-laws hairdresser's late grandmother's dog will be downloading and registering. Now, not everyone will keep playing, and the game will be littered with unused players.
    Okay, how about this:

The games would be available for download for free, along with free cd/registration key, with also a 7-day trial. The games would also be sold in stores just like now. That way it would filter out the non-players, such as grandma's dog, because no one would pay money and not play the game. Also, people who download it probably have the interest or fast enough internet connection, which are also the people who usually will end up paying to play per month.

An example is with PlanetSide. You can download a free 7-day trial of it from fileplanet.com. It's the full game (1 GB to download!) so that you can move up in rank, get new items, etc while trying it, but they require you to still buy the game if you want to keep playing it each month because you then need the serial number from the cd. Therefore, even though I downloaded the full game, I can't just decide to pay 12.95 a month to keep playing, but I have to dish out an additional 49.95 just to get a cd key. They should just give the key to you when you download it.