A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Teens murder, blame Grand Theft Auto - your thoughts?

banned by dp
    Originally posted by squidlips
    So the parent are to blame, but they wouldnt have turned out the way they did if THEY had better parenting. The blame game is a vicious cycle and it never works out. People have gotta start taking responsibility for their own action but with soiciety how it is at the moment its far to easy to blame the media, bad parenting, or canada.
    I balme Bill Clinton!!

Who said fallin off of a horse couldn't be an inspiration
    yea thats true hahaha. but you know what i mean right?.....

.....ever seen that episode of the simpson where they come up with bigger and bigger sticks with nails on the ends and bigger nails and on and on just cause guns were banned?
    BLING!

o yea and im my opinion it is in no way the media's fault. cuz like nine million other people said if the kids didnt see it on tv movies music etc. theyd have gotten it from somewhere else.and even if it is bad media the kids shouldnt have access to that media which can be considered problematic. parents more believable but not fully. i blame mental problems.
    BLING!

banned by dp
    See, but Rockstar Brought this on themselfs.They knew that games sell mostly to teens and children, They knew there game was meant for adults, So I'm not sticking up for them. But any parents who says "well little Johnny is unstable and all but he really wants Vice City, Well I guess I could get it," is as messed up as the kid!
    Sorry I just don't want to lose GTA I had it as a best friend scents GTA2

The whole issue here is money. The family of the person killed knows that Beavis & Butthead's parents don't have any cash in their trailer, so they're going after someone who does: the game designer.

Actually, now that I think of it there was an episode of B&B where this issue came up. The electricuted themselves in a thunderstorm trying to be like Ben Franklin, and then the press got them to blame it all on Ozzy Osbourne.

Who says history doesn't repeat itself?

that was history?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    that was history?
    if it happened

Originally posted by yasunobu13
    if it happened
    but that's a Beavis and Butthead episode. hardly history.

I think.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Originally posted by gerbick
    but that's a Beavis and Butthead episode. hardly history.

I think.
    it may be hardly history, but if it happened, then it is history. Just like these posts. No one may care that they ever happened, but they did and are therefore part of history

tru dat
    BLING!

Ok, back to the topic.

I believe that banning weapons is not the solution, education is.
    As jide said:
    You know guns aren't the only way to kill someone.
    I guess you've all played GTA (3, Vice city or any similar game like Mafia) so you know that beating the living crap out of people and cars can be done with guns AND also Bats, Chainsaws, Golf Clubs Sticks, etc.
    So what difference does it make a weapon banning program or law? Everyone can walk into Home Depot or Lowe's (USA) or Home Mart (here in mexico) and buy a chainsaw or a machete for cutting the grass and go out and start attacking people without a Fire Arm.

Besides, its stupid to blame a video game, every new video game now has an easy to see label with the age rating and contents (violence, blood, gore....) if you, as a parent allow your kid to have a rate M game, then dont complain about future behaviours your kid has.

This text came from www.esrb.org
    The ESRB rating system helps parents and other consumers choose the games that are right for their families. ESRB ratings have two parts: rating symbols that suggest what age group the game is best for, and content descriptors that tell you about content elements that may be of interest or concern. When parents check the rating, the control is in their hands.
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City Rockstar Games PC CD-ROM,Playstation2,Xbox Mature (17+) Blood and Gore,Strong Language,Strong Sexual Content,Violence

As you can see, parents have to pay more atention to what kids see or play.
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

word
    BLING!

I can kill a man (or incapacitate) in atleast five ways. I don't go out and twist peoples heads 360 degrees because I play Splinter Cell, do I?

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Of course not, but I wouldn't mind having those sweet Night Vision Goggles or those whistling gas cameras
    |"Silence teaches you how to sing"

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.

How many kids play that game and have never, and will never harm anyone?

I can't stand how people can take one isolated case of something, assume it's the norm, then start pointing fingers left, right, and center.

The kids were probably messed up, but if they were at the point where watching animated violence drove them to shooting someone, the problem was there long before they ever turned on the game.

Yes.