A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xbox vs. PS2

Xbox vs. PS2

Buying my brother (24) a birthday gift, and I can't decide between an Xbox or a PS2. Any suggestions? He likes sports games and I want to get him hooked up for network play. Any unbiased non-Microsoft bashing is welcome...

Well PS2's have a lot of good games, while an xBox has only a few good games. PS2's graphics aren't as nice as Xbox's, but the game is really what matters. Personally I like Xbox better, but thats' just my opinion.

I personally own a a PS2...only becasue my friend got an Xbox(most good games come out on all platforms anyways) so he sold it to me for $80 and at the time all i wanted to do was play grand theft auto. I would like an xbox but i don't play enough video games to go out and buy one(and all my friends own them anyways) i would much rather spend $400 on and iPod haha but well unless he is specifically into a series...either way is fine...but i mean like some games are "made just for bleh bleh"

Right now, I have to say Playstation 2. Most of PS2's games are coming online. All the EA titles as well as some RPGs and shoot 'em ups, as well. Now, the Xbox has Xbox Live, but they charge an annual fee, and to be honest - i'm not impressed with the quality of the XBox Live service.

In a few months though, this all could change. I think XBox only needs 2-4 more games to finally get it over the hump and establish itself as the premier platform.

Then again, I hate the XBox's DVD support - you have to buy a remote? Sheesh. You'd think they'd have taken a tip from Sony.

This argument is just like apples and oranges, though - it's all preference.

although I own both, the decision for Madden 2k4 to go PS2 online only made a difference for a lot of my friends.

although, I like Sega's/ESPN's football better, Madden is what everybody is playing online on the PS2.

I say go with the PS2.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

FK Teletubbie Crew !
    my only problem with PS2 is its reliability have they fixed all the bugs with the hardware. Because 3 of my friends have had PS2 break on them a few times not once but a few times.

XBox is fun expecialy Halo i tear it up in that game.

If the bugs are worked out of ps2 by now i would get it simply because its CHEAPER has MORE GAMES and THERE MORE ONLINE.
    (A man can have a dream but only a strong man has the will to follow that dream. )
    -Jon-

I own both because I want to play games on both formats. But if I had a choice, I would go for the Xbox.

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    XBox - pure and simple better quality alround full stop.
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

I say PS2 just because that's where the games I play are and in the end that's what will matter, I think everyone has must have games, whether it's halo on the x-box or GT on the PS2, that will make the decision for them.

(I can never understand how people can play first person shooters without a mouse, watching a bunch of people play halo (expert players even) is like watching people in an 80's disco, all of them doing the 'robot' - a little to the left, up a bit, right a bit up a bit more, fire, no he's moved...)

I guess the x-box is more connected right now but the PS2 seems to be catching up, can't speak for the quality of the PS2's network but the X-box plays really well online, though I've not tried one in england. I really only enjoy playing games when you have a bunch of mates over and make an evening of it, so I like games where people compete against each other, GT, CM rally, tekken, all those types of games, and I think the PS2 is way ahead in that area (plus you can pass the controller around without breaking someone's foot if you drop it...)

You can pry my gamecube from my cold dead hands.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

insane root

Re: Xbox vs. PS2

My suggestion is to get him a gift certificare to a store which has both... and allow him to choose, or better yet, if he doesn't even want a system he could buy something else :P

PS2-They look so much better
    Seriously, I would go for the ps2.

Originally posted by PAlexC
    You can pry my gamecube from my cold dead hands.
    I think you're in the minority.

Originally posted by DigitalOne

Then again, I hate the XBox's DVD support - you have to buy a remote? Sheesh. You'd think they'd have taken a tip from Sony.

Mm yeah but you have to buy a multi tab to play 4 player for your PS2.

banned by dp
    I own a PS2 and I loved it like a child (mostly because of one little game call Metal gear Solid 2) I cleaned it every other day and used cases for all my games.(I hate when people just leave them lining around) Then One day about 5 months ago I saw Unable to read disc when I put in the game Stuntman. I Wanted to make sure it was only that game so I put in FF10 and the same thing. Then I put in the great MGS2 it Worked! up till the load screen for the level where it froze. For about 2 months I could still play PS1 games on it put hen they stopped working, I took it to a game store and the guy was like"uh dodo do do, You're game's processor has died and it will cost 100 bucks to fix it." So I was like "Forget that!"And I've been waiting to save the money to get a new one, but every time I get close to getting it I end up having to pay for something big.
    Any way for all this I still Like PS2 better then X-box(And I like gamecube more then X-Box if you want to get complicated)
    If you like FPS they are a lot better on X-Box.But PS2 is a RPG machine (literally) so if you like RPGs go PS2, If you like FPS go X-box.
    But then you have to think of price PS2 and PS2 equipment cost less then X-box's but If you are willing to pay its just a few dollars.
    Oh and even though X-box has DOA3(fighter game)PS2 has Takken and vitura fighter 4.

FK Teletubbie Crew !
    Have you ever thought of using PlayStation®2 and PS one™ Service Center: just goto playstation.com and the support page theyll figure it out for ya... If its still under 90day warentie they will fix it if not there will be a fee but prolly cheaper then some street hustler...
    Last edited by RebbelX; 09-08-2003 at 12:02 PM.
    (A man can have a dream but only a strong man has the will to follow that dream. )
    -Jon-

I say wait for X-box 2 or PS/3 comes out, which relatively around the corner if u include winter
    consultant / contractor / designer

banned by dp
    Isn't it still a year and a half till the PS3 and X-box2 come out?

both are rumoured to be 2005.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

PS3 is made in partnership with IBM, isn't it?