A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: vid in flash 5 -- linked swfs

vid in flash 5 -- linked swfs

I'm required to use flash 5 on the site I'm working on, and have a bunch of linked flash movies. I want to pop a video into one of them, and from what I understand, I have to make it a qt movie instead of a flash file. Here are my questions:

I tried to do this, made the qt movie the first time successfully, but when it tried to go to another swf from one of the buttons in the qt movie, the video kept playing on top of the flash elements.
    I'm also not so crazy about the qt bar on the top, it's screwing with the seamless flow. Is there any way I can stay in the flash 5 domain? Would a program like flix let me do this on a mac?

I went back to my movie, changed something, can't figure out what, and now the qt file I'm exporting has lost all its flash elements, so I'm really frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    zignorp

Wildform Moderator
    Hi.
    Yes, with Flix you can export a Flash 5 compatible .swf that you can bring into your Flash project using LoadMovie. It also exports an importable Flash 5 compatible .swf video, but those lose important elements like audio, bitrate control and memory control, so you're best off using LoadMovie.
    jb
    www.wildform.com

thankyouthankyouthankyou

soooo much!

Z

one more flix question

I downloaded the demo and it WORKS! I love it when that happens. I've got to experiment with the compression settings, maybe start with a larger file, but now it's playing in the top left corner of my stage, just calling loadmovienum from a frame script. Can anyone tell me how to place it correctly in my movie?
    I tried making a movie clip and putting it in there, but it started playing the video at the whole size of my stage. I need to place it
    pretty exactly, and since I don't have control over the flash in the swf, I cant make it that big and put it in the right place. Any help would make me sooo less miserable computing in the heat wave!

Thanks,z

Wildform Moderator
    You can load it into an empty movie clip. The upper left hand corner of the loaded movie will line up with the center of the empty movie clip (the crosshairs). You can also change the position of the clip by setting the x and y coordinates with actionscript. Go to the Actions Panel and from "Actions" choose "setProperty". Go to the bottom of the Actions Panel and choose the _x property from the list, enter the target (make sure your target has an instance name), and enter the value (whatever you want your x position to be). Do the same for the _y property.
    jb
    www.wildform.com

positioning, not working

Thanks again for all your help Jonathan,
    It's not working for me, I'm going to tell you what I did:

ok, this is confusing, my message keeps getting cut off at the semicolons and end brackets, so I'll paste the code at the end w/o semicolons, and let you know that when I published it, it's still lining up on the top left.

Thanks,
    z

I created an empty movie clip on the main scene, put it:
    loadMovieNum ("video1.swf", 1)
    Then I dragged it onto my scene, positioned the crosshairs where I wanted them, named the instance, "clippy".
    I clicked on it, then made an object action:
    onClipEvent (load) {
    setProperty ("clippy", _x, "350")
    setProperty ("clippy", _y, "325")
    }
    Last edited by zignorp; 09-12-2003 at 03:13 PM.

figured that part out, flix quality issues

OK, I haven't done much actionscripting, used to be a lingo expert and look where that got me! So I figured out the dif between loadMovie and loadMovieNum, and did the right thing, thanks for all your help. The problem now is even tho I'm just still checking out the demo, the quality doesn't look so good, I have 3 qt files to choose from, that were given to me, one is 1 meg 240x180, which looks great, then I've got a 2meg 320 file and finally a 17 meg file, which plays full screen. These all sync pretty well. The duration of my qt mov is 1:34:17, and I want 240x180 output. I'll play around with settings some more, but I'm not getting sync, lots of jpg artifacts, and the sound sounds awful, even at the high bandwith settings, which produce a file that's a lot bigger than the qt files I have. Any tips would be apprec iated.

Thanks again, SO MUCH!

Wendy

Wildform Moderator
    The problem with the older compatible Flash video is that the quality is much lower at the same file size. Flix's MX video is a lot better (300%-400% better). But that only plays in Flash 6+ player.
    Did you try using the 512k Flash 3-6 preset? That should look reasonable. The watermark placed in the video in the demo can also throw off the appearance. For higher quality you can either increase the max. bitrate or decrease the video framerate and/or the dimensions.
    As for the audio, it should sync up, even with Flash 3-6 video. Just make sure that the video framerate you select in Flix is equal to or a factor of the video framerate of the source video.
    You may also want to try updating your Flash player to see if that makes any difference.
    jb

linked swfs

where do you put the setporperty command? in the main movie, or in the target swf?

I am having the same prob getting swf in the right place

james
    Never under any circumsstances let the machine win!