A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Netscape/Explorer

Unhappy

I'm a newcomer to the art of uploading my flash movie into outer space (the web), and one issue I have is that I don't know the browser discreptencies between Netscape/Explorer in flash. As a HTML designer, I do know that Netscape is merciless and much less compatible than explorer, but that's up for discussion.
    Is flash vulnerable to these kinds of problems?

Oh, yeah,and another thing: I'm starting a new job that works solely with Macs. Does that pose a problem?

It's getting pretty darn confusing with them variables out there, dontchathink?

Eeek! Flash, Mac ... Mac, Flash. Not a combination I'd like to be working with (sorry all you Mac Monkeys - I'm a PC Primate for life!). I don't think there's any special issues for SWF in browser terms, all the same, more or less. Someone was telling me that PCs get first priority when it comes to Flash plugins, tho - dunno who it was, and they may be wrong. I just know that all of my friends using Flash with Macs live in perpetual frustration!

Variables, ah, now there's a worthy subject! That's the way to go. The gateway to pure interactivity, and not as difficult to master as many would think! Keep her lit!

Richard,

There are virtually no differences in Flash appearance in Netscape vs. Internet Explorer. Macromedia makes both plugins, and while the plugins are different (the IE one is ActiveX), the behavior of Flash movies is meant to be identical.

This is quite a relief for web designers who have torn their hair out trying to get HTML looking decent in Netscape. Funny though, I've run into some rare situations where the movie "malfunctioned" in Netscape but was fine in IE.

One time involved loading a movie clip into the main movie and turning the visibility off (it didn't disappear), and another involved issuing an FS Command to trigger the Javascript window.open function. I had to monkey around with my file to get around it.

Die, Netscape, die!