A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Outside files?

Arem

Outside files?

Is it at all possible to load text from like a TXT file? Is it also possible to load information from pictures? Like add them to a folder and have a preview of them in the Flash with our reexporting it each time. Do you know what I mean?

Can some one help me with learning how to send variables to files for like high scores and guest books?

Thank you so much!

Dan

Re: Outside files?

Originally posted by DmanPfeif
    Is it at all possible to load text from like a TXT file? Is it also possible to load information from pictures? Like add them to a folder and have a preview of them in the Flash with our reexporting it each time. Do you know what I mean?

Can some one help me with learning how to send variables to files for like high scores and guest books?

Thank you so much!

Dan
    Yes you can load data like a text file but only as a variable.

Search the forum there have been many explainations of how to do this sort of thing. basically flash expects a string of characters in the form of a GET url as follows:

&myvar1=value1&myvar2=value2 etc.......

this can be a simple text file i.e.

&mytext=Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country.......................

or a set of variables.

Or you can use a server scripting languge like PHP, ASP, PERL to generate the variables in that form from information say in a database. And this is how you do things like a guestbook or highscores, the flash file sends the data to a server script. I've posted a fairly complete guestbook example that includes the PHP code, the SQL structure for a database and the source movie file. Again search the forum.

You can get information like the photo gallery thing but this requires complex scripting and a deep understanding of loaded elements, someone did an example search the forum for "dynamic menu"