dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Learning web design

Learning web design

I have been trying to do webdesign for a while now but i am not that good. Does anybody know a good book i can buy to learn webdesign or html or maybe a good website. Please post if you have any suggestions. Thanks

Being a good web designer is not a skill you can aquire by reading a book. Its a lot like graphic design, its something you learn by doing excersises, taking classes, and doing extensive work on it. There are books that can help teach you, but its no overnight thing. Most of the people here who are great web designers didn't become such overnight, they most likely went to school and then shifted into the web design feild.
    But if all you need to do is learn the code and stuff, i recomend the wrox line of books. www.wrox.com
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

first, webdesign is not HTML. There's much more to it.

Webdesign involves a lot of tools, none of them are secret, everything can be found on the internet.

Now before all, let me tell you this. A lot of people think webdesigning is easy, and it only takes to learn some HTML. Lets say you want to be a carpenter (the one that works with wood, not one of the members of the music group ). Anyway, it's easy to learn how to handle the hammer, nails, cut wood, etc etc. But unless you're a genious, you just won't come up with great work at first. You know, just by learning how to use the right tools, you won't be able to build a Louis XV style bed. Probably you'll just do a little cute box, with almost no details. Do you get me? to make a wooden piece of art, you have to practice a lot, and study even more.

Now , regarding webdesign, yeah, probably the first thing to do is learn HTML, but HTML is not webdesign. I recommend you this site: www.sitepoint.com , lots of articles about webdesign, very VERY helpfull.

Good luck to you, and I hope you become a great designer.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Originally posted by argonauta
    first, webdesign is not HTML. There's much more to it.

Webdesign involves a lot of tools, none of them are secret, everything can be found on the internet.

Now before all, let me tell you this. A lot of people think webdesigning is easy, and it only takes to learn some HTML. Lets say you want to be a carpenter (the one that works with wood, not one of the members of the music group ). Anyway, it's easy to learn how to handle the hammer, nails, cut wood, etc etc. But unless you're a genious, you just won't come up with great work at first. You know, just by learning how to use the right tools, you won't be able to build a Louis XV style bed. Probably you'll just do a little cute box, with almost no details. Do you get me? to make a wooden piece of art, you have to practice a lot, and study even more.

Now , regarding webdesign, yeah, probably the first thing to do is learn HTML, but HTML is not webdesign. I recommend you this site: www.sitepoint.com , lots of articles about webdesign, very VERY helpfull.

Good luck to you, and I hope you become a great designer.
    Just want to add on to this:
    Web Design is not just the code...its also the appearance. Most likely you will first build your site in HTML, with maybe frames, textboxes, etx. Eventually, your overall design skills as an artist will improve. The coding is the brush, while the artist is the actual page.

Good Luck

SPAMMER
    check out www.friendsofed.com the best design books on the market i think

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Practice.

Although it's not the end of it all, and there are obviously other things that you can do to help, practice will certainly build your self-confidence.

My first sites sucked (you think they suck now? Well you didn't see the first ones ), and I think with each one I have managed to improve some area of design, coding or functionality.

If you make one (large) step per design, eventually you'll have a nice selection of ideas in your cookbook, which you can add to requested designs to stir up exactly what the customer needs.

(more food analogies - hungry again).
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

Originally posted by hurricaneone
    My first sites sucked (you think they suck now? Well you didn't see the first ones ),
    Darn, you beat me to it.

d.
    dlowe93