A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Comments appriciated

Comments appriciated

Hello all. I posted here a while ago for help with my logo design. Now I am back and just quickly wondering if anyone wouldn't mind quickly looking at the beginings of a design for my splash page. The feel for it will also, hopfully, cary into my actual site as well. One thing at a time though. Please go easy on my as I'm not really good with graphics. Just some general comments/tips on how I could make it better.

http://24.71.156.148/

I like everything but the colours - the green and blue just arent working, and I feel it also needs something a little bit more. Can't really put my finger on it, more elements peraps.

Hmmm.....kind of hard to give a detailed critique or to make too many specific suggestions at this point. Not only is there not a whole lot there right now, but the question also remains as to what the purpose of the site is. I'm guessing this is your personal portfolio site? I'll start out by saying that I like what is there so far. I'll agree with bvgroote though, that the green you've got going on the 3D logo might not be the best choice for a complimentary color to the blue you have in the bar, which I do like. I would play around with some different hues, maybe even a darker and less saturated version of the blue in the bar.

On kind of a side note regarding complimentary colors...do any of you guys out there have Corel PhotoPaint? It has a very useful mixing palette that shows you complimentary colors based on the original color's position on the color wheel. You can access it by double-clicking the color chip for the background or foreground color, which brings up the normal color picker, then you can select the Mixer tab. For those of you who are not familiar with the color wheel, it is the source of all harmony within the world of color. You can see it in the screenshot below. This is great for determining which colors would naturally compliment one another and ensures an eye-pleasing palette for your projects. Perfect for when you are wondering "what color would go with that?".

I also might suggest making the logo that is now in the upper right corner white and placing it inside the blue bar. Right now it kind of looks like it's floating out in space. I think doing this will tie it more cohesively into the rest of the design.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

yep, colours aren't working well. in addition to everything that has been said i would point out the fonts to the right. very very blurry. change them too, make them more crisp and sharp

Thx all for the comments. I'll have to look into that program. Once I have a new version of the site I'll upload it. This is kinda one of those on the side between university and a job sorta things so it might not be updated right away. I'll try making the logo blue aswell, and then test out the other logo as white in the bar. I know it kinda looks 'empty' but that's patrly by design. I don't want one of those abstract clutted site, just osmething smooth and clean. Just so you know though, I wasn't planning on sticking with the green in the first place, I just didn't know what color at first to make it so I chucked a random color on the render phase. Then I became too lazy to actually change the color later so stuck with it for now. Anyhoo, thx again for the comments and I'll post up the newer version when it's ready.

(sorry if I spelled every 2nd word wrong, kinda rushing it)

[EDIT]
    Quick update, somehow got the energy to quickly change this up a bit. Here's my next shot at it.

http://24.71.156.148
    or
    http://www.protonic-d.tk
    Last edited by IProto; 09-14-2003 at 04:45 PM.

I would say that the design is much improved. Now this is just my opinion, but I think you might want to use the same font for "requirements" that you do for "800x600". As it is now "requirements" is a bit hard to read. I think you could also make the "protonic" part somewhat larger to give it more visual precedence than the rest of the text. You don't have to go crazy with the size, just give it a little more visual 'weight', if you will.

I like the blue on the 3D logo better than the green, but I think it could still use a little tweaking to bring it in line with the blue in the bar. Take a look at the blue in the bar....nice and close....it's quite subtle, but that is a green-blue. The face is fine, but the 3D logo is more of a red-blue on the sides. It's a subtle thing, but the color on the sides of the 3D logo should be shifted ever so slightly more towards green to fall into harmonious alignment with the rest of the scheme.
    mrush

done and done, how's that?

Personally, I like it. I think I'm liking it a lot.

And what about you...after looking at it yourself...what do you think?
    mrush

Yah, I think I like it a lot. Next up is the actual site tho, that's where I'll really have to go at it. I think for that I'm going to try for a console (think that's the word for it) effect. Have it as if the site is like a device (almost like a cell phone or a gameboy or whatever) that has an LCD display for the content and then a little part comes out for nav. I want to do it in 3D aswell but I'm not amazing with it or anything so it's not like it'll be billybussey good =) Anyway, back on topic, I think I like it a lot more now, thx for the help.

fonts look still a bit strange to me.... like if they had been saved at low quality.

other than that, the colours, are much much better.

much better!

I see a Netscape logo there. I didn't think people still used it.

mg33
    The Atlantic Divide My band here in Chicago, USA. || We also exist here on myspace: myspace.com/theatlanticdivide

Yah, NS isn't really a big competetor these days, but I thought that I might aswell make it compatible seeing as it's still the biggest competitor to IE. That and I'm partly anti M$ so I like promoting the other guy. Not that I actually use NS, just my personal stand though.

Here's a browser usage graph if you cared aswell: