A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Site for a friend's band

mantric.net

Site for a friend's band

Ok, I know this is in the extremely early stages and needs a lot of work but I'm trying to sell the site on the layout here (Officially it's a template for whoever will pay for it).

Basically, I just need to see what everyone thinks of the static effect. On my P4 1.7 w/ 512MB ram it uses roughly 30% of my cpu time. i'm not positive but I think that's not exactly a good thing.

Any input on how to better optimize it is appreciated

http://www.thesceneisours.com/notamused/notamused.htm

I assume it's a series of jpegs or whatever- it's a little CPU heavy- infact I'd drop it completely unless you can figure out a way to optimize it. Remember- it's all about the end user, and although it's a nice effect it could affect the sites performance as a whole, which will just annoy people who don't know why it's not working who will just leave the site which means that you have failed :-)
    Design the site around the people who use it. I don't like the idea of using templates, can lead to all sorts of trouble and is a bad way to address things like disability (imagine you used it to create a site for visually impaired).
    Usability, Usability, Usability.

Post it up again when you have more done. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh...
    D-Power

it does need a lot of work. including a hit state for your buttons.

is a little heavy man. Is it a video clip thats causing the heaviness? depends on who'se going to see the site, perhaps a nice tastey image with some simple movement/effects would suffice.

the design is a little bold, maybe thats the band--need to see with more content etc

G

mantric.net
    Yeah, I knew it was ways away from being done and I thought the static was a little cpu-heavy. Anyone know of a way to optimize something like that?