A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Management books?

Management books?

Hi this may be off topic, but this the best place I could think to post it. Please move it or delete it if has no place on Flashkit.

I work for a background investigation company (more to the point a non-graphic design/web design studio). I WAS the IT help desk person but now due to my "excellent performance" both technically and customer service-wise I have been put into a role where I am a liaison between the IT department and Customer Service department...Basically my responsibilities are to train the Customer Service department on our new technologies and policies and so on...So this has given me sort of a "middle management" type of role..while I don't "formally" have control over the customer service department, it is kind of just known, that if I make a request, or tell them to do something a certain way, they better do it.

So my question to all you professionals out, there...do you know of any good books on Management skills and training and such? I have no formal training in managing or training others, so I am kind of just winging it. I basically take the approach of giving very detailed, informative informational emails/lectures……I spell everything out in terms that make people see the BIG PICTURE…because I feel my team sometimes takes things as they come, instead of seeing the whole picture, or the grand scheme of things….Ya know, I like to ask ‘ What does the customer really want”?

They have gotten better in the last few weeks, and I always make sure I call them or email them whenever they show improvement from previous “mistakes”, just to give them some positive reinforcement.

I know the type of business I am in is quite different than most people here, but I would assume management skills apply across the board. So any insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

_pC

ooh my friend, i was also a criminal and credit researcher during college, and if I remember correctly you must adhere to quite a few regulations nationwide, per state and industry specific. But back to your point... I would start with websites like techrepublic.com to get you started with all the materials you will need, such as resources and such. As far as the managerial part, it is not your teams responsiblity to see the big picture, it is your responsibity. Management, put very very simply is the ability to get people to do what you want them to do, or what needs to get done, but make them think that it is what they want.
    A good start would be to see what peoples strengths and weaknesses are by first asking them and their colleagues and next observing them. When youve found everyones niche, capitalize on it. Some people can do simple things quickly and well, others are opposite. Use this to your advantage and assign tasks accordingly. Dont get too hung up on esoteric or philosophical models and just be as pleasant as you can without getting too personal, there may be times when youll have to be firm and people are more resentful to those they know personally.

Aside from that pickup a first year management textbook (from college)such as Management: Models and Practices to get other more pro forma information on how management works and why.

As far as the managerial part, it is not your teams responsiblity to see the big picture, it is your responsibity. Management, put very very simply is the ability to get people to do what you want them to do, or what needs to get done, but make them think that it is what they want.
    That is exactly the type of advice I was looking for thanks.

be as pleasant as you can without getting too personal, there may be times when youll have to be firm and people are more resentful to those they know personally.
    This is an aspect that worries me....not that I am not pleasant ...but that I have worked with most of them for 2 years as, basically, a peer (although I really was a bit higher up informally)....and we were all very friendly with one another...now I am in a position that I may have to reprimand them....So we will see how that goes.

Thanks for your response, you have given me alot to think about..I will check out that website and book!

Thanks again.