A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Browsing a directory in flash possible?

Browsing a directory in flash possible?

I want to create a flash animation and link to several PDF's as supplementary documents. This flash will only be distributed on CD. As the amount and filenames of the PDF's are likely to change often, I want to create something like a

Button that launches the Windows Explorer with a given Directory on the CD

Is this possible in flash? In case it's not - does anybody know another solution than hardcode the links to the pdfs in a flash-menu and update them anytime a filename changes?

Thank you for your help!

You could use FSCommand('exec','filename.bat') to launch a batch file that will do pretty much whatever you want. Place this bat file in a folder called FSCommand on your cd, that's in the same folders as your Flash projector.

Don't ask me about writing bat files in DOS, it's been way too long.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Thank you

Thanks alot,

explorer ..\pdf\

as content in the Batch File should do the job. Thanx!

hi EBPP

i know how to use a batch file to open any .exe but can u tell me how can i use it to open a certain directory (for example exploring a certain directory from my CD by clicking a button)with considering that the drive letter of the cdrom is different from a pc to another
    thanks

Open Explorer window in given directory

Hy!

When you start the .bat file it is located in the FSCommand Folder on the CD-Rom Drive. When you put

explorer ..\pdf\

as content in the Batch file, explorer will pop up with the content of the directory [CD-ROM]:\YourLocationOfFlashMovie\pdf

That's it.

Greetings and Happy Christmas,
    Andreas

thanks a lot

thanks a lot it worked
    but i do wander is this .. after explorer means going up this folder as cd ..

and if explorer is a command to indicate that i am exporing my computer or what ??
    Last edited by certified; 12-22-2003 at 01:03 PM.

explorer.exe is the Windows Explorer - that means the command executes the same thing as when you doubleclick on the explorer icon.

as all programms are executed in the FSCommand directory ..\pdf\ points to the parent directory (the directory where the flashmovie is located) and then "changes downward" to the pdf directory.

Merry Christmas,
    Andreas

Thanks a lot