dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Very disappointed in MX 2004

Some people here seriously need a chill pill (or 2)

I could get jumped for what I am about to say but here it goes anyhow - I personally feel this is a great and innovative product that any developer who is serious about his/her work and development process would embrace and would be here posting and sharing something a bit more constructive than throwing tantrums. This isn't some competition about who gets to master the next Flash upgrade first. Yes there's a new learning curve 'cos the tool has evolved as it should be and you in return get a more sophisticated product that'll enable you to become more efficient - in other words you get value for money. Furthermore, there's another option--> you dont have to upgrade if your existing Flash version meets your existing needs and requirements.

We used to come here after each upgrade and share work and solutions to make this and the next release an even better one. This is what the community used to do and MM always listened and still does.

I came across a viewpoint in another forum which I happen to share: I really do feel that MX2004 is ahead of its time - Perhaps a year too early? I'm certain MM spent an enormous amount of resources to make this upgrade possible. Get some books and go have some fun.

a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Nose Picker

Here's to 2005

Well, I was the man trying to be the voice of reason by starting a different thread. However I have returned here because I just gotta vent. I've been through 4 versions of Flash. Never have I felt what I do about any piece of software as I do about Flash MX2004. I feel like I'm on a tight rope with no net every time I open it and I feel like I'm committing russian rhoulette each time I open an old document. Sure I've seen equally buggy software (Illustrator 10, for inst, but 10.03 works well now), but its probably because a flash file is a complex labor of love that differs from a still image that makes me so scared.

Lets get this straight: Bugs, I dont know what this thing will do next. Mike, I know you say you've opened a million files with no problems, but everything I have openned has had something or other wrong. Its the same with everyone I've spoken to on and off the board. I said this before but it bears repeating. Backwards compatibility is the most important part of an upgrade topping any new features. If you can't get your work into it there nothing for the software to work on and its just a liability. And if this, the MOST IMPORTANT part of the software doesnt work, even only 10% of the time, how can we trust the rest?

New features: MX was a new work flow, but I got used to it in an hour and it made my life better. I was clever, well crafted, and thoughtful to a variety of needs. The removed and added features combined with different layouts and methods makes this software something I can't deal with, and this is after 3 days of use. I'm busy working. I can't spend anymore time on these bugs and workflow issues. I have clients to deal with here. My time is limited. I also have a wife who needs a large amount of hugs. You tell her I need to relearn a piece of software I was an expert in one version ago from the bottom up in my spare time.

I live a half mile from the Macromedia headquarters. I have a mind to walk down there and tell the first person I see how much I hate this software. I'm skipping this version all together. My mind is made up. The bugs, the work flow, and a product activation that has the possibility of invading my privacy (leave my track 0 alone MX and XP)... Even if I bought this I'd crack it. I'll take a look at it after an update (like i did with Ill 10.03) or a total upgrade.

And for those who want to write me off as a whiner, I've never seen this much whining over a single product in my life, on so many boards and from so many peers. Sorry Mike, you didn't convince me, quite the opposite. There's just no defending it. It was so disappointing to see adobe releasing software that wasn't really ready for shipping until the second or third patch. But now Macromedia too? Ugh! Maybe in two years I'll have a new president and a working version of flash. Here's to

Mark

Re: Here's to 2005

Originally posted by Mark2k
    I feel like I'm on a tight rope with no net every time I open it and I feel like I'm committing russian rhoulette each time I open an old document.

Mark

I am running MX2004 on WIN2K and OSX and to this date,I have yet to experience the probs and/or the instability you are describing.

To set the record straight, I am not dismissing you as a whiner (my earlier post) -constructive feedback=/ whining

But I do sense, based on the discussions I've checked so far, that the main issue is the new learning curve and that this release caters for an elite of developers who now have a more sophisticated toy to play with. For many out there this can be disheartening and even threatening. Perhaps MM could address this with more tutes, comprehensive documentation and articles on their site.

The bar has been raised but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    a
    We're médecins sans frontières. More about us here

Well it looks like I have started something I didn't expect. A thread that has grown is own feet.

All of my concerns and comments were directed towards the backward compatibility issue which is very important to me.

I have tried all of the suggestions and possible work arounds talked about here with no luck in loading Flash 5 FLA's into MX 2004.
    I downloaded the trial version of MX and loaded the FLA's and then saved them as MX files and tried to load them into MX 2004. No luck.

I do want to take advantage of the new features and compression function so my Flash infomercials will load faster for user using dialups. I hate preloaders of any kind and I was hoping this upgrade would help with these issues.

I develope animated character voice narrated presentations to help ecommerce and elearning web site owners market their products and services.

I know this upgrade is much more than just a tool for animation and that is good for the entire industry. But there are many of us developers in the marketing field who just need a backwards compatible version of this upgrade.

I am fustrated to say the least.
    Best regards
    Toby Mack

For the best and funniest Audio Blog on the Internet come visit:

http://feeds.feedburner.com/Fla****UpBlog

Nose Picker

Re: Re: Here's to 2005

Originally posted by Aria
    Mark

To set the record straight, I am not dismissing you as a whiner (my earlier post) -constructive feedback=/ whining ...

The bar has been raised but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
    a
    First let me say that I wasn't pointing to you as a culprit for using the label whiner, but I still feel you statements in your responce to me were a bit condecending. I'd don't need any tutorials to deal with what is eccentially a poorly made interface. I've learned more pieces of software than I can count. I know flash extremely well. Its not that i couldnt get used to it in time, its that i dont want to. The undo system sucks. Thats that. The lack of normal mode, the bizaarly reorganized menus, the lack of behavior buttons for the transform tool, the lack of stackability of the toolbars. And then theres the bugs. This software is just a pain and no "tut" can fix that. Sorry.

I know flash extremely well. Its not that i couldnt get used to it
    in time, its that i dont want to. The undo system sucks. Thats that.

spoken for truth.

Chris
    http://www.**********-dms.com

...still not as bad as jumping from Director to Flash...
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

huh??

Originally posted by Aria
    Some people here seriously need a chill pill (or 2)

I could get jumped for what I am about to say but here it goes anyhow - I personally feel this is a great and innovative product that any developer who is serious about his/her work and development process would embrace and would be here posting and sharing something a bit more constructive than throwing tantrums. This isn't some competition about who gets to master the next Flash upgrade first. Yes there's a new learning curve 'cos the tool has evolved as it should be and you in return get a more sophisticated product that'll enable you to become more efficient - in other words you get value for money. Furthermore, there's another option--> you dont have to upgrade if your existing Flash version meets your existing needs and requirements.

We used to come here after each upgrade and share work and solutions to make this and the next release an even better one. This is what the community used to do and MM always listened and still does.

I came across a viewpoint in another forum which I happen to share: I really do feel that MX2004 is ahead of its time - Perhaps a year too early? I'm certain MM spent an enormous amount of resources to make this upgrade possible. Get some books and go have some fun.

a
    Your missing the point completely. The whole reason why we are frustrated is because we expected to come here and share work etc... however I cant open an MX file with out major problems. It kind of stops there. Ranting about how "ahead of its time" it is sounds like religious fervor. Macromedia can handle the criticism (except for Mike Downy) and they will make adjustments to the software. They have gotten where they are at by listening. I will come back and share beautiful FlashMX04 stories once the compatibility issues are resolved and the Undo issue is addressed. Both these things lead me to a stand still in MX04. No whining at all just serious problems. If we cant express and address them here than where can we?

Sure there are some people here that get down right stupid with there frustrations, talking about how Macromedia is going to go under cause of this etc.... dont lump us all into that ignorant category. I am very happy you are enjoying this new version some of us are not for good reason.

I agree with cwflash, I'd truely like to jump into
    enjoying MX2004 like I did when MX came out. I was looking
    forward to AS2 and the forms design. We had company meetings
    about developing components and other products with it.

We've since decided to continue with MX as it remains a
    far more productive tool. I'll keep an ear to the ground
    and when MX2004 has been fixed (especially the undo)
    we'll revisit it.

Cheers...
    Chris

Chris, personally, I'm still more worried about MX made movies playing as I made them in the new player, that was obviously designed in preperation for the new MX04. I can hold off on 04 for awhile. From the feel I get from reading about it in this and other forums, it ought to be relegated to a different category anyway, like Director. It seems to be way beyond the capabilities of the average person who wants to build a flash movie without years of coding experience. I'm just worried that there will be a fork in the flashplayer road ahead that makes MX worthless.

eveningtidemusic.com tristankelley's Avatar
    Originally posted by iaskwhy
    I'm just worried that there will be a fork in the flashplayer road ahead that makes MX worthless.
    How would this happen? Sorry, I'm lost here.

Well, everyone has heard the word that Macromedia may not include support for some deprecated F4 code in future player releases. We're all waiting for the other shoe to drop. With a new AS language appearing, it's not that much a jump to imagine that new flashplayer versions will not play MX and F5 made movies as they were built, or as they play now.

Agreed on the player issue.

I can also see where MM is in a tricky spot now with users
    wanting ease of use and functionality in combination with more
    advanced users wanting more features and coding. Then there's
    designers wanting more tools too.

One thing MM really needs to do is leave the core functionality
    alone. I want an udpate to improve the application but I don't
    like taking valuable time to relearn or find work arounds to what I
    already should know. Sure given time we could all adjust to
    just about any change but why should we have to?

The undo system worked beatifully as it was. Now simply because
    PhotoShop has a History List we have to have one too?
    This isn't PhotoShop.

I often compare two or more movieclips on the main timeline
    to see how the entire animation flows and works together,
    altering inside each clip as the process moves along.
    I can't do this now. You'd think the creators of an animation
    application could clearly see the power of this and not change
    that in favor of a linear list. I've really harped on this issue
    but I'm really floored by its removal.

Chris

Originally posted by FPChris
    The undo system worked beatifully as it was. Now simply because
    PhotoShop has a History List we have to have one too?
    This isn't PhotoShop.

Chris

when you guys decided to go against upgrading to mx2004, and said that mx is solid... do you guys mean that you want to go as far as FLASH MX, an that's all?

i'm sort of referring to the second post in this thread...

i am using FLASH MX, and i have never used flash 5...

and i do not want to upgrade to FLASH MX2004 either...

The scary thing is that...an upgrade may be forced due to the fact that MX2004 will not open Flash5 files...MX2005 might not open MX files...

Flash Product Manager
    Hmm... I just downloaded a Flash 5 file (http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Sp...-649/index.php) from this forum and opened it in FLMX2004 just fine. So I think it would be more accurate to say that FLMX2004 may not open older FLA versions based on certain configurations.

Please check out this thread to further explore this issue: http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=494337

MD

when things get fixed, an upgrade will be appropriate

Nose Picker
    Originally posted by MikeDowney
    Hmm... I just downloaded a Flash 5 file (http://www.flashkit.com/tutorials/Sp...-649/index.php) from this forum and opened it in FLMX2004 just fine. So I think it would be more accurate to say that FLMX2004 may not open older FLA versions based on certain configurations.

Please check out this thread to further explore this issue: http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...hreadid=494337

MD
    Not good enough. All my old files opened in MX. Again, even if only %10 of files don't open thats too much. I've never heard of such a thing. They're your files, Macromedia, no matter what the configuration. How can you not know how to open them all?

Mark

Originally posted by MikeDowney

MD
    Why try with these guys?