dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: strange cliant

strange cliant

My newest potential cliant wants me to make a satanic/ugly website for a taco stand. HELLSTACOS.COM
    He showed me all kinds of animated gifs of flames & explosions, & told me he wants them ALL over the page.
    He also wants lots of blood.
    I have no problem with the EVEL. I think thats cool!

I explained to him that animated gifs all over the site are very 90's & are not condusive of good design.

He does not agree.
    He would like the entire backgroung to be a large gif of fire!
    I dont think this guy knows anything about design.

If I do make this site, I probably will not put it in my portfolio.
    I wont want anyone to know Im responsable for it.

What should I do?
    I have a meeting with him in a few days.

simple. show him some well-designed satanic sites and tell him you can make one like it(without ripping it). And then show him a geocities classic with a bunch of animated gifs, and ask him, this is what you wanted, right?

http://www.actionscript.com/archives/00000555.html
    One of the questions from the audience was how to deal with clients that want crappy design. When asked to give an example, the audience member said that he has a client that hates white space.

Sas’ solution was simply, "Don’t put your name on it." I applauded to that one.

Jonathan’s solution was a little sneakier, "Put your competitor’s name on it." I almost applauded, but laughed instead.
    While you should try your best to educate your client as to the importance of a good design, if what he wants is a crappy site and he's willing to pay for a crappy site (and not willing to pay for a good one), by all means make it. But you don't need to tell anyone you made it. Why are you in business? It's probably not to make the web a better looking place - its for the money. Sometimes we need to do something we wouldnt be proud of to make money. If i need money real bad, I might get a job working at mcdonalds. Flippin burgers isn't how i'd like to spend my saturdays, but if i want money then it might be necessary (assuming i couldnt find a job at any better place).

If you want the money, go ahead. "99% of...websites are bad" (Jakob Neilsen). You don't always need to be in the top 1%. besides, later on when they realize they need a more professional, good looking site, they'll go to you for a redesign.
    Bill Erickson: resume | portfolio
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    Great Designs for $100

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    I can only offer that you can only do so much in your efforts to save those with terminal bad taste, so if they're dead set on having their own hair-brained ideas available for the world to see (and laugh at), try and keep a straight face in the meetings, keep a barf bag handy while you're doing the work and get on with the job at hand.

Like removing a Band Aid, better to get it over with in one quick rip than to drag it out slowly.

And then you can move on to demonstrating your skills for a more deserving, more appreciative customer.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

www.goth.net

dark design, but not crap with animated gifs.

it can be done..
    <:8O)~~~ RATS! they ate my footer! ~~(O8:>

Señor member
    Agree with all of the above (I especially liked the actionscript.org atricle )

The client is the one who is hiring you to do what they ask, if they're not receptive to suggestions, that's unfortunate but it's not the end of the world. You could perhaps use it as a portfolio case study on how you delighted the client by suggesting alternatives etc but ultimately delivered the product they wanted after exhausting all other options
    Company, Meet Creative
    ------------------------
    welcomebrand

you can still put it in your portfolio, but not necisarily put a link to it. You can even abbreviate their name in two letters.

The guy wants me to do a logo design & some illustration.
    So I figure, if the site is bad, I can at least claim some of the elements as LOGO, or ILLUSTRATION.
    No link to the site.
    Thanks all!

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    Originally posted by TianaKaeSha
    www.goth.net
    Now that should be put forward as the definition of the 'mystery meat' menu.

Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

dark design, but not crap with animated gifs.
    build it, and they will come.

May the force be with you young jedi....

What should I do?
    TELL HIM TO GOTO http://www.hell.com !!!!