A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pixel Art

Pixel Art

I wanna learn how to draw using pixel art and was wondering if there were any good tutorials out there or programs I should use.
    Thanks

ms paint
    the only thing you need to know is what colors go where and have some perspective skill. Its simple to do, but hard to get good at. requires a lot of patience
    It must be obvious day at camp stupid

ok thanks sk8Krog...but isn't there some tutorials or are you saying its just practice?

Ok I was just fooling around with some pixel art and imported it into Flash but there is always a 'different color' surrounding the picture...a tint...how do you get rid of that thanks...
    Last edited by UnknownGuy; 09-11-2003 at 06:45 PM.

Originally posted by UnknownGuy
    ok thanks sk8Krog...but isn't there some tutorials or are you saying its just practice?

Ok I was just fooling around with some pixel art and imported it into Flash but there is always a 'different color' surrounding the picture...a tint...how do you get rid of that thanks...

you saved the file as a gif?

or a png?
    maybe.

U can also try Illustrator for that, export as a swf and import into flash, allways had great results.

Originally posted by phreakdevil
    U can also try Illustrator for that, export as a swf and import into flash, allways had great results.
    hrmmm i think he said pixel art... not vector

Originally posted by nayades
    hrmmm i think he said pixel art... not vector
    hrrmmm i actually think he was looking for a solution to his problem of importing images. hrmmhmrmhmrmhrmhmr.
    maybe.

obviously, his prob is using mspaint saving method. for pixel art i would use mspaint, but when finished the piece, i would copy it and save it with another appz. basically because mspint doesn't give a friggin' option to save, so it saves it with sh*t quality.

Originally posted by No-Tec
    hrrmmm i actually think he was looking for a solution to his problem of importing images. hrmmhmrmhmrmhrmhmr.
    is it ok now you no-tech trendwhore ???

Originally posted by nayades
    is it ok now you no-tech trendwhore ???
    sure is naynads dickface.
    maybe.

I exported in bmp and was wondering how to get the blur off...

Originally posted by No-Tec
    sure is naynads dickface.
    ^bull****

nayades and No-Tec ~

Are you children done calling each other names? Let's just say I hope so...

Keep that kind of crap off the boards.
    mrush

> .. _ .: Join the FK ARENA!:..:RUSHVision vs. JWin:. _ .. <
    ..:: "Why aren't the lockout programs working?!?...Release the monkey!" ::..

Ummm how can you get the blur away from a bmp?When you import to anything...

Can you post/attach the image you are working with along with an explanation of what you want to be different than what you are getting? Any what program are you working in?
    mrush

I'm using paint and trying to import it into flash....but I know i shouldn't import it into flash as a bmp so I load it in Photoshop(trial version).I am not actually using the picture just wanting to know how to fix the problem for any picture...this was just a test.I'm talking about the tint(tinge) around the picture(its doesn't look white...)How do you fix that?

I can't even remember when the last time I used MSPaint was, but I just opened it up and wow...you've got some pretty limited options. Let's see if you get what you want out of Photoshop, though. The first thing you want to do though, might involve going back into Paint first. The thing is you want your background color to be as different as possible from any other color in your image. You will be selecting pixels based on their color value and it is helpful in selecting all of them if there are no other colors that are in the same range as the one you want to select and get rid of.

Open up your .BMP in Photoshop. I am assuming that you basically have a background color that you want to get rid of and you don't want a colored 'halo' around your graphics. Select the Magic Wand Tool and set the tolerance to somewhere between maybe 2 and 8. If you are doing pixel art, then you want things nice and crisp and you should uncheck the box next to 'Anti-aliased'. Also uncheck the box next to 'Continguous'...by doing this you will select all pixels in the image within the specified range rather than just those connected to each other from the point where you select with the Magic Wand.

Then use the Magic Wand to select part of the background that you want to remove. You should now have all the pixels in the image that are similar to the background color selected. You can now do one of two things. You can either just delete the pixels that you now have selected or you can hit Ctrl+Shift+I to invert the selection and then Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V to copy the actual image into another layer. I recommend the second option. This leaves you with your original intact if you want to try different tolerances for the Magic Wand or you want to check the copy against the original. When you go to save it, just hit the little eye icon in the layers to turn off the layer with your original in it.

Ok, so you now should have a layer that contains just your image and the background should be transparent...you should see sort of a checkerboard in the background. I'm not sure if Image Ready is included in the trial version or not, but it should be and I will assume that it is. Go to File>Save for Web and a preview dialogue will come up showing you a preview of your image along with export and compression options on the right. In the upper right, you want to save as either a .GIF or a .PNG-8. I would recommend .PNG-8. Check the box for transparency and choose the number of colors you want to include in the palette. For what you are doing, probably the fewer the better. Hit the OK button to export. You should now be able to import this image into Flash without the 'halo'.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
    mrush

Is it possible to do pixel art in photoshop?Or what is a better pixel art program?

Sure, you can do pixel art in Photoshop. Fundamentally, Photoshop is just a complex pixel editor. All raster-based images are made up of a composite of pixels displaying a slightly different piece of information. There are a lot of different ways to manipulate these pixels. If you zoom in far enough...I think the max is 1600%...you will see the individual pixels and just use your tools set at a small enough radius to be able to work at that level.

Start out by keeping in mind that information in the last post of mine about how to tweak the settings of the Magic Wand and why. If you are doing pixel art you want to keep an eye out for this sort of thing throughout the program. For instance if you are using any text you want to turn off anti-aliasing instead of having it set to Crisp, Smooth or Strong. If you want to work with a limited palette of colors go up to Image>Mode and choose Indexed Color. Below is a sample palette that I assigned to an image after converting it from RGB to Indexed Color. Keeping your palette to 256 colors can be beneficial if you are going to make icons, for example. Or it can ensure crisp delineation of colors in pixel art if that's what you are looking for.

mrush

I use photoshop for all my pixel art. I have a tutorial posted on deviantart if youre interested, my SN on there is Oolie
    <3 Julie

AIM: Julie3360
    YIM: TheAtarisR0ck

I'm always asking for help so I thought it would be appropriate to give a big THANK YOU to anyone who's ever helped me!