A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Double The Broadband?

Double The Broadband?

well that other thread aobut braodband got me to thinking about a article i was reading about multiple NIC in a puter and having 2 connections running into your pc downloading even faster...

well that was done with 2 seperate lines. But we have cable and it goes through a router to the main pc(hard wired) and then too my friends pc wirelessly. and when both on the hardwired gets like 200-300 average and his wireless get 100-200...and there is like 3 more ports on the part of the router to hardwire in...so if we got another NIC card to hardwire another line to the already hardwired pc...would it make it anyfaster, i mean i know it is the same connection going to the same pc...but with the router it kind of slpits it up into different connection..? could that work?

The pipe coming into your house is still the same speed.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Double The Broadband?
    Double the fun.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

yeah i know but i mean the hardwired only gets like 200-300 tops and the wireless one gets 100-200 tops no matter if they are on at the same time or not...so say 2 lines are hardwired into one pc...could it double the speed...and how exactly do you run 2 NIC in the same PC?

This sounds like a gerbick question, but here's my stab at it.

No.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

haha...thanks

I Mastered Dead Technology TallGuyLittleCar's Avatar
    yes, but it would take some special hardware. back in the day the would run dual 56k lines or dual isdn lines to get more speed. I would think you could do the same for dsl or cable.

I'm pretty sure you can do the same for t1 lines.
    ONLY RON PAUL AND ALUMINUM FOIL CAN SAVE YOU NOW!
    annoy your politician fairtax.org, a political forum

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

You mean the Diamond Supra Sonic II?

in order to have two broadband connections, and I may be wrong.. but you would need 2 networks set up.. you may be able to trick it, but I think in the end you will find the resources your computer uses up to accomplish this, would not justify the increase in bandwidth..

While theoretically putting two lines together each realizing approximately 200k you should get 400k.. I'd be hard pressed to say you will actually see more than 250k and that alone will be lost in communications.

ISDN was made simple and faster by a single card with two inputs.. unless you can convince the cable company to run a second cable line into your home (similar to that of an apartment building, have two cables modems, looped into a 2 input 1 out hub type device and then that one into your nic.. but I don't think you'll have much luck with that..
    ..tween this

No I can't do it by tommorow.. 1stbite's Avatar
    I inquired about this about a year or so back to my ISP before my area got 1mb broadband and the best was 128k.

The answer was NO you cant have a second cable installed...

they wouldn't comment on the fact whether it worked or not, but they were very firm on the fact that they would only supply one cable per household no matter how much I was willing to pay (not a lot...lol)

sounded to me they didn't like my idea.... opps
    and in a blink of an eye...
    Media and Multimedia Courses in Nottingham - First Diploma | IMedia | HND | Foundation Degrees | BA(Hons) Top Ups.

Give a Twit a chance!

A friend runs a linux box that has DSL and Cable. His downloadspeed is exactly the sum of those two. He is a real Windows person but couldn't get it to work with Windows, according to him it was very simple with a linux box.

Wouldn't getting another wireless card with a higher transfer or a router that has a higher transfer cheaper as you alread have the speed availlable?
    Vincent
    SWIS BV

Last edited by Markp.com on 07-23-2003 at 02:25 AM

FK's Official A&A Addict
    yes it is possible. you have to setup a router to handle two ip adresses and handle the load evenly. i was thinking of doing this with a cable and a dsl line (dsl me cable neighbors) but there are some troubles. getting a router with accepts 1 incomming lines are pricy routers.

so what's left is making one self. but that would mean 3 nics (2 incomming and a outgoing) well you could do it with 2 (one incomming one outgoing putting the dsl and the cable on the same nic and clone the card in linux) or even one nic (clone the card 3 times) wich ofcourse gets you very close to the theoretical maximum.

however i havn't looked into it yet. but i am interested in it because it will probably result in a somewhat more stable internet connection (both connections have to be down before internet is down) however since i have the more stable connection of the two i don't really have to hurry :P

btw if you want to do some project like this yourself lookup "ip binding" for loadsa info

Back in the day doubling up my 56K was great for me, nowadays Cable is wonderful.

I was wondering about something though. I know the cable companies have you hubbed with other people in your neighborhood and are limiting your throttling your bandwidth, but is there anyway to increase/trick it to let you have more of it? Maybe outside at the cable box or something?
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.

THAT, my friend, is a gerbick question. I can assure you he can answer that.

Originally posted by FusionJedi
    I was wondering about something though. I know the cable companies have you hubbed with other people in your neighborhood and are limiting your throttling your bandwidth, but is there anyway to increase/trick it to let you have more of it? Maybe outside at the cable box or something?
    Its illegal, but to my understanding the flow is controled by the cable modem the company provides to you, so it would just take a mod on the modem...a lot like how people will crack premium channels with a modified box

But, like I said its illegal so you don't wanna try it.
    John Starkey: So what if I have had sexual relations with Saddam.

Looking for a webhost, paid, free, or dedicated? Check out this thread, to get my reviews.

yes...
    with this hardware.
    NOTE: it will not double your speed with a single instance of any net connection, it will only allow you to speed up multiple instances.. like multiple downloads, multiple browser instances, or multiple streaming video instances.

'Roadrunner' will install 2 dedicated cable lines for these boxes.

also notice that the nexland box has 3 failover options incase you lose both your broadband lines... dialup paging to notify admin.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/nexland.shtml

nexland is no longer available, it was purchased by symantec. there is 1 box left on ebay.

http://www.hotbrick.com/vpn1200.html

this item is available from: tigerdirect.com for $499.00 usd.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by Naked inc.; 09-18-2003 at 11:04 PM.