A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: swf video slows in browser?

swf video slows in browser?

http://fuse9.com/more/keebo/walk_test.htm
    This video plays back more smoothly when just played directly through the swf player than when played through IE.

Is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks

Very nice work!

What frame rate are you using?

Thanks Wheels

Frame rate of both the FLV and the FLA is 15fps. The FLV is part of the SWF and not linked. Rendered from AfterEffects with the mx2004 demo.

I have tried going down to "low" quality in the html, but it doesn't look like that has any effect on video.

It is not a big difference, but still enough to bug me. I will try putting a streaming sound in the bground to see if that might force it to play faster.

Any other guesses appreciated

Audio will definitely help keep things synced. Since your FLV is on the main timeline you will want to just lay the audio on another layer.

What 3D program are you using?

I will definitely give that a shot when I get home then! Streaming footstep sounds would be a good idea anyway I guess.

I modeled it in Wings3d (free opensource from www.wings3d.com ) Setup in LightWave, Animated in MotionBuilder, then rendered from LightWave... You can see a wireframe and other shots HERE.

Thanks again for the help. I will post results soon!

http://fuse9.com/more/keebo/walk_test2.htm (sound will be changed)
    The animation now plays back just as well in IE as in the standalone player or projector on my machine. But it jerks when it loops. I guess because it has to start playing the stream (mp3 24kbps mono). It also eventually stops, but you can start it back up with the rightclick menu.

What is really strange though is that I compared the two pages on my wife's old 300mhz with an old ati viper video card. There was no slowdown at all on the playback of either page. But the other 3 machines (all higher end machines with Quadro and GeForce cards) the slowdown was there.

I will experiment more and post back if I find any other workarounds or solutions.