dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: No project is safe? Actionscript viewer 4

No project is safe? Actionscript viewer 4

So I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on the new Actionscript Viewer 4.0 that was just released. It is now possible to convert any SWF back into an FLA with Flash MX 2004. It's pretty cool, I tried it yesterday to an old project I had done. Worked great.

My thought though is no project is safe. Sure in the past you could decompile your swf, but now you can just convert it and start from there. A real time saver. I for one think it's a good feature, but I'm sure some will feel it just a further ability for others to steal their work.

Hmmmm?

macromedia have admited there is no way you can protect your SWF from decompiling, any blocks that do arise will be fixed in the updates these apps regularly receive and quickly become redundant.

check this interesting thread at
    flashcoders for a discussion including the new ASV4 involving MM reps and the guy from ASV.
    Last edited by aversion; 09-19-2003 at 10:32 AM.

An Inconvenient Serving Size hurricaneone's Avatar
    *cough* deadlink, av *cough*

[edit]

Just a quick thought I have to offer - I've said it customers before, if you don't want people to rip your content, don't put it on the web.

Sounds defeatist, you may think, but I think it is better to have a realistic attitude than to be surprised and dismayed when you see your work on someone else's site.

Though, it does sound like MM are throwing in the towel and taking the 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' attitude a little too far.
    Last edited by hurricaneone; 09-19-2003 at 10:40 AM.
    Stand by for emergency synapse rerouting

weird I think there's a forum bug that's creating that hard return.

try this http://chattyfig.figleaf.com/cgi-bin...jplfgikalpaien

swf to fla? that would be illegal, would it not? id be very surprised if theyve actually managed to convert a swf back to a fla- there are many limitations involved.

Personally i dont care if people can view my thousands (upon thousands) of lines of code (around about 12,000 lines for one particular app), im only concerned from a security piont of view, which i always keep in mind when creating an application. i dont see what all the fuss is about.
    This information is subject to change without notice and
    is provided "as is" with no warranty.

Developer
    There are many limitations in reconstructing the fla with ASV, read up on it. But with JSFL it's a lot easier.

Originally posted by the sherrif
    Personally i dont care if people can view my thousands (upon thousands) of lines of code (around about 12,000 lines for one particular app), im only concerned from a security piont of view, which i always keep in mind when creating an application. i dont see what all the fuss is about.
    I agree completely. Know that it's an unsecure format and build accordingly.

- n.