A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Easier way?

Hi all!

I was wondering if there was a way to animate just a line from being drawn from a single point and then to a whole line instead of making a line longer from frame to frame. This way is very tedious and I haven't been able to find a way to do it in flash.

IF I have confused you the following example may help....sorry bout that.

start
    1)_
    2)__
    3)___
    4)____
    5)_____
    etc...

I want to make the illusion of a letter being written on the browser.

If anyone could help me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

------------------
    "Run as far and fast as you can, and if it all falls apart, you'll have no regrets."

Hojo from Sanctuary

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

I think your solution is the quickest way out. You could take a letter and break it up into curves and just erase the segments in each frame. that I guess would truly be the quickest way. Regards, Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.
    <EMBED src="/cgi-bin/ubb/Members/sigs/00000100.swf" quality=high WIDTH=375 HEIGHT=75 TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"> </EMBED>

Thanks for the reply!

I've also tried to do that but it makes the animation look really choppy.
    I also have another concern, the reason why I want to find an easier way is so that my file size doesnt get too big. More frames - larger file. Ive created the letter and cut small pieces of it out, step by step. It makes the animation smooth but with a ton of frames.

Thanks for your input!

------------------
    "Run as far and fast as you can, and if it all falls apart, you'll have no regrets."

Hojo from Sanctuary

Senior Moderator
    Defender of the Faith

Cool

If they are straight lines you can tween them. that will make the action smoother and reduce your keyframes. Regards,Bill

------------------
    Macromedians 1:1

In the beginning the web was without shape and color, and the hype covered the darkness of the net. Then there was a Flash and life came to the web and vision became reality.

Smile

Pope's suggestion is the easiest way to tween a dot to become a line.

I have an alternative way to do it is,

1. draw your complete line on layer 1.
    2. draw a rectangle shape with the same color as your backgound on layer 2, this will cover your line. Convert your rectangle shape into symble.
    3. move the rectangle shape until it cover the line but left a tiny portion out, this will make the line look like a dot.
    4. animate the rectangle shape, move it until it is not cover the line.

as for the letter/text, you can do the same thing with just one rectangle shape(I called it "cover") by using it over and over again.

note: if you are using flash 4, take a look at the "writing pen" sample,
    help &gt; sample &gt; writing pen.
    If you don't have flash 4, you can download a free trail version, i think the sample is included.
    hope this will help.

[This message has been edited by yeenhin (edited 06 April 2000).]

[This message has been edited by yeenhin (edited 06 April 2000).]

Smile

Thank you both for your input. I've tried all of the ideas given to me and I think I found a way to make it work. I may just have to tweak it a bit more to make it run smoother. So hopefully I may have this movie completed for all to see.

Thanks again!

------------------

Hojo from Sanctuary