A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: business card crit

business card crit

i think i don't like the diagonal lines. the ones making a cross. and the text on top of the wood i would separate it a bit from the white column

other wise i like it. perhaps the remedy font i would make it a bit more sharper. almost squared.

cheers

nice man, I like it.

only thing I would say would be the font in the address part looks off like that, I don't mind the font itself, I just think it would be better as a smaller size but all caps, also you could move it away from the edge of the white space, just give the letters a little gutter between them and the edge.

impressed though, better than 90% of the crappy business cards I see.

hope that wood texture prints well*

*don't go to kinkos!

hello, thanks for the comments.

the diagonal lines i quite like so i keep.
    only concern is if they will print out well at a 1pt size.

the text seems a bit off cause of the resizing i did.
    the original 300 is sharp as a knife

i'll definately look into the gutter thing.

cheers.

this business card REALLY isnt working for me.

It seems crowded, and doesnt present much harmony or balance, the contact details are huddled up in the brown area (is that wood?)

I'm not sure why you made it like this, sorry,

thanks,

tried to think outside the box here.

I guess I just dont really get it...maybe its beyond me, but if its beyond me (and I have a better than your average joe grasp on design) then your clients aren't gonna get it either.

Originally posted by bvgroote
    then your clients aren't gonna get it either.
    hmm, doesn't agree with that. there is no standard set to this kind of things.

often got asked by clients to do stuff that's NOT corporate, that IS different from the rest. and not only by small town businesses.

there is still design beyond webdesign. i think it's sad shwoosh-sounds, over-acting buttons and tiny pixelfonts have become standards in webdesign.

thats not what I was saying...

let me say this:

I dont realyl find your card visually appealing, I find it a little disjointed...but maybe thats because I don;t appreciate it on the same level as others might...

k?

cool man, personal taste doesn't need discussion

the last phrase just slipped of my tongue as it is one of my greatest frustrations lately.

Originally posted by sense
    there is still design beyond webdesign. i think it's sad shwoosh-sounds, over-acting buttons and tiny pixelfonts have become standards in webdesign.
    i agree. but it doesn't have to be the same with business cards. the only prob i had with yiur card was text clarity. and the diagonal lines make it a bit more cofusing - although you don't have to use pixel fonts, if you use them like in "the remedy" then i should say they should be crisp and sharp.

the rest i like it. is simple and clean. and i love the wood texture

Originally posted by nayades
    i agree. but it doesn't have to be the same with business cards. the only prob i had with yiur card was text clarity. and the diagonal lines make it a bit more cofusing - although you don't have to use pixel fonts, if you use them like in "the remedy" then i should say they should be crisp and sharp.

the rest i like it. is simple and clean. and i love the wood texture
    I must be missing something...

are we looking at the same thing?

to me it doesnt even look liek wood just looks like weird brown..?

ok...i do like it, its a little bit different

the only things that bother me: i think someone already covered the gutter (this i agree needs more space) the t for telephone for me would work better if it lined up to the right side of the m rather than the left side, wich may need more space before the actual phone number...i like the diagonal line in the white space...it really leads your eye to the contact info...but i do find the diagonal lines in the brown a little distracting...

just my $.02

thanks for the advice astroflux.

bvgroote.. what colordept is your monitor set to?

nayades, i like the new site

Originally posted by bvgroote
    I must be missing something...

are we looking at the same thing?

to me it doesnt even look liek wood just looks like weird brown..?
    yep, probably you have your brightness a bit low. here's the image with a 50% correction fo brightness. you'll sure be able to see the wood now

thanks sense

The idea is good, overall the card is pretty good but the darker color background doesn't flow. The card looks more artsy then something to read. It looks similar to alot of cool websites right now that are flash in the fact that the content is not easy to read. I guess if you are going for look over content it's a great design. If someone taking about 10 seconds to look at it is suppose to pick up all the content, you need to seriously re-design it.

Don't fool yourself to thinking people will stare at the card for mins trying to get it all, they wont it will end up in the rubbish.

I admit the first time I saw it I hated it...Now for some reason I think it is really cool. I don't know if that is good or bad.

It is definitely original.

Also, is that aspect ratio correct? It seems longer vertically than most business cards I see. Or is this on purpose? Now that I think about it, maybe that is what I didnt like about it the first time.....just because it looked "odd". Ya know, like a subconscious thing that didnt appeal to me the first time.

Overall, nice work.

i like it...i am a bit indifferent abou the wood grain though, but I love verything else...the text being off looks GREAT! You want something that catches people's eye and makes them stop and look at it, especially with a business card.

Heaven is made
    of 1's and 0's
    I like the look and feel you have here, I just think the information is too difficult to make out.

I'd move the text away from the white body, but that's just my opinion.